B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Help! Camshaft and high pressure pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Default Help! Camshaft and high pressure pump

I am a first time Audi owner and need help! I've done some research online but haven't really found much that has helped me out too much. I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro with 44,550 miles on it. The check engine light came on and I have noticed a significant lag and loss of power between 4th, 5th and 6th gears. The service dept at my local Audi dealership told me that I need the camshaft, cam follower and high pressure pump replaced. Can someone explain to me (in fairly simple terms please) how all of these work together and why they would need to be replaced? I would like to be informed when I take it to the dealership I purchased it from (which is an hour away) so that all of what was diagnosed at my local dealership will be taken care of. The car was purchased only 2 weeks ago. Thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear

Try reading this self study guide. It explains quite a bit about our engine. The guide is for the transverse version, but the differences are small. From the pictures, it does look like the fuel pump for the transverse engine is upside down compared to ours. The part you are looking for is in the Fuel System section. http://www.mk5gli.com/downloads/2.0t.pdf Basically the follower wears away letting the pump actuator pin grind down on the cam shaft lobe, causing major damage to all three parts.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks! That helps a lot.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

Hope you had some limited warranty. This is a known issue and would have been found easily if you hade looked into these cars. Follower fails frequently in many cars as low as every 30K miles.

Did the dealer remove the fuel pump because they would need to do this to diagnose?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 AM

You are absolutely right. I probably should have researched more extensively but there is really nothing I can do about it now. The car is purchased and I'm left to handle the issue. All I can do is what I am doing, research the problem, become more educated about it, get it fixed and keep up with it from now on. But thanks.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Did you take a look inside there? Was the camshaft indeed damaged? If so, sorry to hear...I think I would take a look in there before taking it to stealership, just in case they might be trying to gouge you. :idk: good luck

Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 AM
2nd Gear

Right. Was the Pump removed for sure to diagnose? You buy it from a dealer? Normally you would have like a 30 day warranty at many places. Have you checked your Coil Packs?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Yes they did remove the pump to diagnose and I did buy it from a dealer. The coil packs were replaced last Friday at my local dealership for no charge since it was covered under the recall. I am actually taking the car up to the dealership I bought it from tomorrow afternoon since they said they will take care of the problem, no charge to me. When I bought it they threw in an Easycare extended warranty (which hasn't gone through yet... a whole other issue that I and the sales manager have been dealing with). Once they found out how much I was quoted at my local dealership they just told me to bring it to them. Since they are an hour away I was just trying to take care of it locally under the extended warranty.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

Good luck. Sounds like it will work out.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 AM
2nd Gear

Wow, nice dealership. That's an expensive repair if you have to pay for it yourself.

Mine had the HPFP replaced before I bought it, so I can only assume they checked the follower as well. I feel like the Audi dealerships make more of an effort to prep and take care of their used cars so that their customers don't have problems right away. If they went through the trouble of replacing the HPFP, I can't imagine they wouldn't have looked at the $60 part (that is known to be prone to failure) under it to see if it needed replacing as well. They also did the coil pack replacement and gave me a new battery when it wouldn't start the day I test drove it.

I'll pull my pump and check it around 50k (it had 35 on it when I bought it). I'll probably replace my DV and maybe even do the PCV upgrade then as well. It seems from all anecdotal evidence here that if you take care of these cars, they run well. If you neglect them, you have expensive problems quickly.