B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Hating my A4 (I'm retarded I know)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear
Thumbs down Hating my A4 (I'm retarded I know)

Actually my wife drives the A4 but we have taken it on a few family outings lately and I just can't stand it. I have been very spoiled since I bought my GTI and just had a few rants.

Tranny is a CVT and I cannot stand driving it. I'm used to my DSG.

The trunk space is small. I love my 4 door hatch.

The car seems very, very slow for having the same engine i'm used to. Is it that much heavier than my GTI or does the CVT suck that much?

Lack of Sunglasses holder. I have one in my car.

Lack of rear passenger AC vents. I have those too.

My wife is an AUDI brand name snob and would not let me buy her a VW at the time for the name status. Funny huh? At the time she did not like A3's but she likes them better since I got my GTI.

Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel like they should have gotton an A3? I think the DSG option alone is worth it and body stylings are so similar.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

I think the GTI is a little faster, but it shouldn't be a huge difference. I'm quite happy with my A4, though.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

let audi know about...future owners could benefit :-)

Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Maybe you should get an A6. I have two sunglasses holders. I have a crap load of trunk space. She is hella fast too. I have a love for VWs. Hubby drives a VR6. Hell, I love all German cars. I was looking for a GTI VR6 before I got my Audi.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

When i took my A4 in they gave me an A3 loaner. That car feels a lot faster than my A4 but i wouldn't trade my car in for one. I just don't like stationwagon/hatchback vehicles. For more power you can also chip it.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

Its mainly that damn weird feeling CVT Tranny and the slowness. just can't stand to drive it but chipping is only if the wife decides she wants it (she does think my GTI is hella fast herself). I just take the family out in my car most of the time. Sorry for the gripe-fest!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

um...so your A4 is a 2.0T? GTI and the 2.0T does have the same engine, BUT, You cant really compare with the two. GTI is on another level, I think. I think we all know Audi brought VW, so some or most of the technology are the same. GTI Has 210hp and the 2.0T have only 200hp, thats 10hp in difference. why is that? both have 2.0L engine with Turbo. the difference is on the setup of the engine and other body parts on the car. engine difference maybe like fuel injection. body parts might be like, GTI have big sports brakes, wheels and performance exhaust. if you put a chip in the A4 2.0T, upgrade the brakes, wheels, exhaust and suspension, then you can compare with GTI. what you should be compare with GTI is Lancer Evo. Lancer Evo, 2.0T with 286hp(not sure if its really 286hp but around there)both have performance engine.

when I first got my A4 2.0T I was comparing it with my M3. handle in corner has a huge difference. the A4 is good in corners but not as steady as the M3. now thats just stock to stock compare. if you want to do mod compare.....my M3 has coilovers, strut bar, exhaust, chip and wheels. if I upgrade my 2.0T with the mods I've done to my m3 you know what the result will be? 2.0T could reach around 300-450hp, so if race in straight line(which I am not intersted in, intersted racing in the track)the 2.0T COULD POSSIBLY beat the M3. down side of the Audi is the body is too heavy. bmw have power in their engines but they also make sure the body is not too heavy and not too light. thats what makes bmw great. Audi still trying to over come that. from what I know the 09 models body is built with something that makes the body lighter.

all in A4 should be compare to like bmw 3 series, RS4 and S4 with M3, RS6 with M6, GTI with Lancer EVo and WRX and such and such.

btw I realize I shouldnt compare my M3 with my Audi A4 is because they are made different for purposes. Audi, more luxury. Bmw more sports. just look at the interior of Audi and bmw. bmw interior is crap compare to Audi. and who needs sunglasses holder when you are driving a performance car? bmw dont make cup holders for a long time. so the A4 maybe, but GTI? and my M3 is an E36 thats why if I said if I mod my 2.0T I could possibly beat it. if its an E46 I dont think the 2.0T will beat it. 3.2L with 320hp plus turbo?! the 2.0T will definitley lose, I'll have to bring a RS4 with turbo to compare. Audi have low Rev and bmw have hig REV

Last edited by B72.0tsline; 03-04-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

I thought the GTIs only came in VR6, 1.8T, and 2.0. Oh, I'm guessing the newer ones? I really only know about the MK3 and MK4....

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by B72.0tsline
um...so your A4 is a 2.0T? GTI and the 2.0T does have the same engine, BUT, You cant really compare with the two. GTI is on another level, I think. I think we all know Audi brought VW, so some or most of the technology are the same. GTI Has 210hp and the 2.0T have only 200hp, thats 10hp in difference. why is that? both have 2.0L engine with Turbo. the difference is on the setup of the engine and other body parts on the car. engine difference maybe like fuel injection. body parts might be like, GTI have big sports brakes, wheels and performance exhaust. if you put a chip in the A4 2.0T, upgrade the brakes, wheels, exhaust and suspension, then you can compare with GTI. what you should be compare with GTI is Lancer Evo. Lancer Evo, 2.0T with 286hp(not sure if its really 286hp but around there)both have performance engine.

when I first got my A4 2.0T I was comparing it with my M3. handle in corner has a huge difference. the A4 is good in corners but not as steady as the M3. now thats just stock to stock compare. if you want to do mod compare.....my M3 has coilovers, strut bar, exhaust, chip and wheels. if I upgrade my 2.0T with the mods I've done to my m3 you know what the result will be? 2.0T could reach around 300-450hp, so if race in straight line(which I am not intersted in, intersted racing in the track)the 2.0T COULD POSSIBLY beat the M3. down side of the Audi is the body is too heavy. bmw have power in their engines but they also make sure the body is not too heavy and not too light. thats what makes bmw great. Audi still trying to over come that. from what I know the 09 models body is built with something that makes the body lighter.

all in A4 should be compare to like bmw 3 series, RS4 and S4 with M3, RS6 with M6, GTI with Lancer EVo and WRX and such and such.

btw I realize I shouldnt compare my M3 with my Audi A4 is because they are made different for purposes. Audi, more luxury. Bmw more sports. just look at the interior of Audi and bmw. bmw interior is crap compare to Audi. and who needs sunglasses holder when you are driving a performance car? bmw dont make cup holders for a long time. so the A4 maybe, but GTI? and my M3 is an E36 thats why if I said if I mod my 2.0T I could possibly beat it. if its an E46 I dont think the 2.0T will beat it. 3.2L with 320hp plus turbo?! the 2.0T will definitley lose, I'll have to bring a RS4 with turbo to compare. Audi have low Rev and bmw have hig REV
The US Spec A4 and GTI both are rated at 200hp. Not 210. Not sure where you are from because your writing was a little hard to read but maybe there is a power difference where you are from.

I was expecting both of my 200hp cars to perform in a similar fashion from a speed point of view only. They have the same engine, even the engine covers can be swapped. Both cars are similar in size inside/outside and both of mine are 4 door. I thought they would be alot closer to each other. My GTI is devistatingly quicker in stock form.

Like I said before, I will chalk this one up to curb weight having to be much higher and DSG tranny being much more superior helping the quickness. I think the GTI is 3100-3200 pounds. What does the A4 weigh?

BTW US spec only has the v6 and 2.0t to whoever mentioned a 1.8.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2wdBlazer
The US Spec A4 and GTI both are rated at 200hp. Not 210. Not sure where you are from because your writing was a little hard to read but maybe there is a power difference where you are from.

I was expecting both of my 200hp cars to perform in a similar fashion from a speed point of view only. They have the same engine, even the engine covers can be swapped. Both cars are similar in size inside/outside and both of mine are 4 door. I thought they would be alot closer to each other. My GTI is devistatingly quicker in stock form.

Like I said before, I will chalk this one up to curb weight having to be much higher and DSG tranny being much more superior helping the quickness. I think the GTI is 3100-3200 pounds. What does the A4 weigh?

BTW US spec only has the v6 and 2.0t to whoever mentioned a 1.8.

I guess is my bad. I got the spec from MSN. you can compare cars on MSN.

Quick Reply: Hating my A4 (I'm retarded I know)