B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Front driver side rattle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
e4c
1st Gear
Default Front driver side rattle!

So ive had my front driver side rattle for some time now whenever im on a bumpy road or even hit a reflector...
My mechanic tells me a bushing is missing from the caliper and so helps by adding a small piece of rubber to bide time while he orders the part.
But the dealer tells him the entire caliper must be replaced!!! AND the rattle has returned!
Anyone know where i might be able to find this part without having to buy a new caliper..that sounds a bit expensive..
[2006 A4 2.0T FWD]

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Front driver side rattle!

no warranty? if not check out local auto repair shops to see if they can get u a part

Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
e4c
1st Gear

maybe im just being paranoid but i dont trust the audi dealer here...
chances are theyre going to try to tell i need this this and that and "oh by the way, its not covered under your warranty"....but ill give them another try, just for you, since you reminded me about my warranty and all haha

Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear

ya, that should be covered under warrenty if you ask me, as long as you havent out on any aftermarket brake pads or kit or maybe some new rims... it should be covered for sure

Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
e4c
1st Gear

ah see, thats where the problem is..i got my brakes done a few months ago since a friend quoted me a lot less than $500 for my front brakes

Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

ya they might try and **** you over and just say that its not covered under warrenty because its not stock breaks or something along those lines... i would try maybe changing wtv you done back to stock and see if the problem is still there

Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 PM
e4c
1st Gear

...wtf....

Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 PM
e4c
1st Gear

took my car in to audi dealer this morn, looks as tho im missing my retaining clip
didnt say anything about a missing bushing...but i swear the rattle stopped when my mechanic ghetto rigged it...
and apparently my pads are wrong - but wouldnt something tell me i have wrong pads? they have sensors on them...would they work even if theyre wrong??? wouldnt the car say "hey these pads dont register right" or something to that effect???

Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 PM
e4c
1st Gear

from what ive gathered in my attempt to find this clip online it looks like a bent metal rod on the caliper...last i checked that was there!
havent been doing too much driving, and im sure id notice if it fell off at some point...

$260+ for parts an labor..... really?? that just doesnt seem right... i know theyre not putting performance pads on..a retaining clip cant be that much...is labor really that much for brakes!?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear

damn that seems really expensive... my suggestion to you would be to buy wtv parts are that you need, and then go to them and have then install them, or go to some other shop that you are comfortable with if you know one already and just get them to do it for you as it will probably be cheaper

Quick Reply: Front driver side rattle!