B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Drivers side daylight bulb - out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Drivers side daylight bulb - out.

Hello,

Is it easy to replace the daylight build on an Audi A4 B7 2008 model? I can't believe the bulb has gone out already at 15k miles and the dealer told me there is no warranty. Initial quote was $200 to replace the bulb and was wondering if I can go to -say- Autozone and buy a bulb and install easily.

I'm not car savy

Appreciate your help,
Meerkat

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, it's very easy. You need an 1156 size bulb for 12 V, 21 W, which you can find online or probably in an auto parts store.

If you open your hood and look at the headlight housing, you'll see a bundle of wires coming in, which are clipped into the back. You can release them by using a flat edge screwdriver on the connecting tab. Then you'll see on the inward facing side of the housing a round plug about 3 inches in diameter. You can pull this off (might screw in, I don't remember), and then you can simply reach in and pull out the old bulb and put in the new one.

It's pretty easy, I replaced my DRLs awhile back (not because they burned out, but to match with the Xenon mains), so feel free to ask any questions if this isn't clear to you.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eMacPaul
Yeah, it's very easy. You need an 1156 size bulb for 12 V, 21 W, which you can find online or probably in an auto parts store.

If you open your hood and look at the headlight housing, you'll see a bundle of wires coming in, which are clipped into the back. You can release them by using a flat edge screwdriver on the connecting tab. Then you'll see on the inward facing side of the housing a round plug about 3 inches in diameter. You can pull this off (might screw in, I don't remember), and then you can simply reach in and pull out the old bulb and put in the new one.

It's pretty easy, I replaced my DRLs awhile back (not because they burned out, but to match with the Xenon mains), so feel free to ask any questions if this isn't clear to you.
Really appreciate the help - thanks a ton. I will go on Saturday to pickup a bulb.
-Kat

Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

$7.95 for two bulbs and took me 15 minutes to replace.

Thank you for your help!
-Kat

Old 06-30-2009, 04:36 PM

emacpaul, what kind of bulbs did you use for the xenon-match drl's? I would like to do the same thing, understand that most use Hoen for the fogs, but not sure on the drl's. I saw some cheap blue ones at Murray's, but figure those would look ricey.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

Glad that worked out for you, meerkat.

Roter, I got Pilot XC1156W, which are blue but chrome-plated, so they match Xenons in color output but don't look blue when they're off.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

you are lucky it was that bulb and not turn signals! then you would have to remove bumper, unless you have small tiny hands.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Hello - now my left (looking from the front) day light running bulb is acting up and needs to be replaced. Noticed there is a black air intake looking device just behind the head lamp fixture. Do I need to remove the intake to replace the bulb? Looks like a very tight fit with the hands.
Appreciate the help again,
Thanks
Kat

Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, you have to take the snorkel off. There are two or three screws in the top of the bumper cover to hold it in, and then it will lift out. The accordion piece separates from it and the air box cover, which also lifts out. While you have them out, you will want to shake them out, as leaves and other debris can accumulate inside them.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eMacPaul
Yeah, you have to take the snorkel off. There are two or three screws in the top of the bumper cover to hold it in, and then it will lift out. The accordion piece separates from it and the air box cover, which also lifts out. While you have them out, you will want to shake them out, as leaves and other debris can accumulate inside them.
Thanks for the info! Save me lots of dough from routine dealer gouging

Seems unusual isn't it to have to replace 3 light bulbs (one break and two day light running lights) on a Audi with less than 40k?
Anyone else replacing light bulbs frequently?
Thanks,
-Kat

Last edited by meerkat154; 10-18-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivers side daylight bulb - out.