B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

CVT "Lurch" Urgent...Warranty about to run out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
1st Gear
Default CVT "Lurch" Urgent...Warranty about to run out!

Hey guys,

Before I start, I'll go ahead and say I used to search function pretty in depth and didn't find anything on this. I kept getting back zero responses.

Anyways, I have a 2007 A4 with the 2.0T and CVT transmission (non quattro.) Well, I've owned the car about 6 months and have noticed something lately.

When I put the car in drive and give it gas, every now and then I feel a "lurching" sensation 1st gear/belt/whatever it is. It doesn't always happen and I'm not even zero I can properly describe it in words. It seems to happen more as I'm pulling out into traffic, IE, pulling out across two or three lanes of traffic.

Here's the kicker. I have exactly one month left on my warranty.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

Alex

Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear

I know this probably doesn't have anything to do with that problem, but you might want to get your software updated for the CVT. There is an issue that occures when you are slowing to a stop. Between 10 and 25 mph you might feel what is like a shudder or rough running engine very briefly. The software tweek gets rid of it. There is a TSB out about it. I can't remember the number.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Wowza!

Wowza! One month left. I hope you dont have one of the dreaded CVT blowups. Hopefully that software fix does it. Possible to trade in to dealer for something with a manual or tiptronic quick before she blows?

Reminds me of an MC-Hammer song, "I say we pray, yeah, I say we pray, I say we pray just to make it today."

Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I get the same lurching thing occasionally.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

I get that too in my 06 B7 .. when I'm going slow like when creeping through parking garages mostly

Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 AM
1st Gear

I have the same thing. It happens at low speeds and usually is most noticeable when the car hasn't been driven in a while or on a cold morning.

I brought it to the attention of the dealer during my last service and he was so quick to answer "that is normal, just a characteristic of the transmission" that I almost didnt finish my sentence. Strange...

How sure are we that this is the transmissions fault? I had an issue with surging/lurching during cruise (partial throttle) in my Toyota. I tested and replaced my EGR valve position sensor. Turns out the bad one was opening and closing erratically under partial throttle, causing the engine to surge. What felt like a serious transmission problem was a $20 fix.

Last edited by bassthrive; 07-01-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

does anyone know the TSB for that CVT software upgrade? I've noticed that too only when then car is driven immediately and has not had a chance to warm up.. especially in cold weather...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

I found the TSB number for correcting the shudder sometimes felt when coming to a stop. TSB # 2015004/1. I noticed it in the 2008 A4 loaner I had for a few days. My father noticed the same behavior in another relatives CVT A6 too.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

Wierd. Never had a problem and I had a B6 from 20k-100k miles and a B7 from 20K-90k miles. Maybe I was lucky?

Contributors to possible problems that I ALWAYS made sure I had done were a good DV, PCV and I had a Chip. Sometimes other issues especially a DV will present like a Tranny problem.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by alex1118
Hey guys,

Before I start, I'll go ahead and say I used to search function pretty in depth and didn't find anything on this. I kept getting back zero responses.

Anyways, I have a 2007 A4 with the 2.0T and CVT transmission (non quattro.) Well, I've owned the car about 6 months and have noticed something lately.

When I put the car in drive and give it gas, every now and then I feel a "lurching" sensation 1st gear/belt/whatever it is. It doesn't always happen and I'm not even zero I can properly describe it in words. It seems to happen more as I'm pulling out into traffic, IE, pulling out across two or three lanes of traffic.

Here's the kicker. I have exactly one month left on my warranty.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

Alex
Phew...reviving an old thread here -- so what happened to your car?