B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Change Drawer in Dash busted during AVIC D3 install....what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Change Drawer in Dash busted during AVIC D3 install....what to do?

Guys -

I hired a dude to install my Avic D3 into my 06 Audi A4 (more on the Avic stuff in a sec) and the sole casualty was that he busted my change drawer. Maybe it's not called the change drawer, but it's that compartment next to the hazard light that opens and closes nicely. Put what you want in there...

What's busted was the spring that operates it. He simply told me, "I broke the spring, I'll get you a new one, and fix it ASAP." I know he's not gonna come back for just that - so I'm interested in knowing what my options are. I've not messed around with it, tried to take it out, or anything yet.

Is there really a spring that I can replace and get this thing running again? Can I order JUST the spring, or am I going to have to buy the whole assembly for some ridiculous price? What's the best thing to do here?

Thanks for that -

The AVIC installation went OK, but I was left with a NASTY NASTY hum from the rear speakers when the unit was on, and it got louder when I turned on the headlights. After two hours of screwing around in there last night I figured out that he hadn't connected the negative wires to the rear speakers (and amp) so once I connected those the hum went entirely away.

I now have the AVIC D-3 hooked up with the Bluetooth adapter, and the iPod adapter. I added a small amplified bazooka sub in the trunk to round out the bass. I've used the AVIC for a year in my last Audi A4 (2004) and I really like it. The bluetooth is new for me, and works really well - downloaded my entire phonebook to the unit from my blackberry in a minute. It automatically pairs with my phone when I enter the car.

If anyone needs assistance in troubleshooting an AVIC d3 install - let me know. I've done this twice now, and pretty much have had problems everywhere. I'm really glad to have it all working. Now if I can only get the change drawer fixed....

KB

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Change Drawer in Dash busted during AVIC D3 install....what to do?

The install on that drawer cant be easy. You should probably call the dealer and ask them what you have to do and what the price is. Or if the car is under warranty see if the warranty covers it.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

If the guy buys you a new drawer, will you sell me your broken one? Mine was scratched when I bought the car and it looks like crap, especially at night. I think to get it out, you remove the trim piece. There's a diagram somewhere...I'll try to find it.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Avic install. I'm looking for an aftermarket nav, bluetooth and ipod unit. You can pm me with details if you get a chance. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

im getting my avic- d3 installed tomorrow by bestbuy

this kinda makes me nervous about the guy breaking my drawer now
did you get a custom trim kit for it or somethign or did it just pop in?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

SilverAudi,
Let me know how you like your Avic. How much did Best Buy charge for the install?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

just got it installed!

usually the charge 155.36 but i became kinda tight with those guys and we had some fun so they decided to give me a discount for 105.00 and a bunch of free stuff so it wasnt too bad

its actually a pretty good system... i dont have the navigation dvds and my friend told me there still in his garage so i hope he's being honest cause there like 180 to replace.
also i think i need to get subs for it
the stock system put out more bass than this system

Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

$105 ain't bad at all. Did you have the iPod and bluetooth adapters as well? I'm sure that would raise the cost. How do the steering wheels controls work? And last one...what mounting kit did you use? Thanks for the info.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

the steering controls dont work( they said it was impossible especailly cause there the spinning type not buttons)
and the system doesnt turn on anymore without the keys but i mean its a touchscreen so its ok =)

right now i just got it installed and i could not find a dash kit for the car at all so i had to get one custom made and molded =(

and your welcome man... dont hestitate to ask any questions
its kind of a big thing so i understand

Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Did you consider the Metra kit? I've seen it used on a few B5's, so it should work for most. Thanks again for the info. I may hit you back up if I get closer to a decision.

Quick Reply: Change Drawer in Dash busted during AVIC D3 install....what to do?