B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Car battery or alternator

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
that's what i mean. i've tinkered with batteries before and i was lucky to start my car a few times. the current has to match, otherwise you end up frying something or you don't get enough.
I disagree. The higher the better if it is offered for the car. I could get away in FL with a 600 series but as soon as the cold hit when I moved to Ohio. Poof. biggest 700 series or better will keep your car alive in cold winters as long as the alternator is ok. You won't fry anything as it is rated for your car.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2wdBlazer
You won't fry anything as it is rated for your car.
how do you know the rated current for the electrical system. like i said, i've tinkered with higher cranking batteries and smaller batteries with my old car and it had times where it wouldn't start so easily.

it was -40 today where i live. i use a battery warmer for my OEM battery. started up fine. when people start to re-engineer their car specs based on assumptions, that's when you get problems like i describe. specs are there for a reason.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear

I am only referring if there are 2 choices for your car by Audi, going with the larger is the best option. Not talking about stuffing in an 875cca truck battery just because it will pysically fit.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Xarpolis
Ok, here's a very simple rundown of what's going on with your electrical system.

A battery is *ONLY* used to start your car and power things while the engine is off.

The Alternator is used to power EVERYTHING when the engine is running.
What this means is that if your car is running, you can quite literally remove the battery completely and everything will continue to run.
thanks! First person to explain that...guess the higher cca batter from autozone is going in..will keep u posted esandes for the next 3 years :-)

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by phosphateb
thanks! First person to explain that...guess the higher cca batter from autozone is going in..will keep u posted esandes for the next 3 years :-)
okay went to autozone and well they wouldnt install the battery...i can afford it so i went to the audi dealer and bought the OEM battery..installed 262 bucks. 1 year free replacement and 5 year warranty. so will keep ya'll posted. Good thing i keep the stealership in business LOL!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear

You paid how much!! When I went to the dealer to replace my dead one with a new OEM battery, it was only $160 for everything.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by B7Night
You paid how much!! When I went to the dealer to replace my dead one with a new OEM battery, it was only $160 for everything.
wow you did good..the battery runs what you paid for it and you got free installation...i guess i didnt...HILEY AUDI.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Help Please

Hi All,
Can anybody help me. My audi A3 3.2 has a problem where it keeps stalling, i KNOW THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE as it is an automatic but if i dont keep the revs above 1500 then it cuts out. This only happens occasionally not everytime I drive it. It also drains battery so fast and I have had 3 new batteries in 2 years.
I have had 4 different mechanics look at it and each one tells me something different.
Can any body tell me what the problems are?
Thanks Duane

Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phosphateb
you didn't know that the battery is just for starting the engine? anyways, you did well to get the OEM battery. you're in mississippi so you don't need 2 times the cca anyways.

i live in -40 winters and i have no block heater, as you know. so there are two options:
1. get a winter battery that will supply the CCA needed when it's -40.
2. get a bettery warmer that will allow the OEM battery to supply the correct amps.

the colder a battery gets, the less amps it will deliver. a battery warmer compensates for the cold ambient temperatures. i still have my original battery and i've nearly drained it by acident twice by leaving one of the inside lights on.

just another jab: it's best to leave the (re)engineering to the audi engineers. we all like to assume we know what we're doing even though it's not the right thing to do. more is not always better.

duane, what mechanics are you bringing it to? i'd take it to the dealership. sounds like a vacuum leak. i'm not sure why the battery would drain out.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

Mine wanted to stall when it was the PCV valve. I also say it could be a vacuume leak. Batteries don't just die, it would have to be your alternator. Go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Car battery or alternator