B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Buying first Audi: 3.2 or 2.0T? Quattro or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:05 AM
1st Gear

ill sum it up..

quattro = great to have. FWD is not that bad as well, however most people buy an audi for Quattro. Depending on the type of weather you will be driving might help you decide.

3.2 or 2.0t... simply put, if you EVER plan on modding the car, 2.0 all the way. More mods out there for the 2.0 and will make you happier in the long run. Most 3.2 drivers regret getting it down the line..

shop around and you will find the perfect audi for you. I STRONGLY recommend purchasing the technology package (HID)...only package I regret not getting

-randy

Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Quattros
ill sum it up..

shop around and you will find the perfect audi for you. I STRONGLY recommend purchasing the technology package (HID)...only package I regret not getting

-randy
what does the technology package consist of?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear

FWD is fine for a stock car.

Quattro if you have bad weather or want to mod the car at all. Wheelspin is quite the bitch.

2.0t ownes the 6cyl. Near the same quickness in stock form but once just a stage 1 chip is added to the 2.0t you will own any 6cyl. Nothing beats the feel of a turbocharged engine. Plus they are great on gas.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

I would go with the 2.0t as well. As far as Quattro vs 2wd it is a toss up for me. My 2wd A4 does very well in snow here in Germany but there are times I wish I had a Quattro. When summer come's though, I won't think about a Quattro at all. Also the 2wd with 6sp manual has the best MPG as well as performance over the Quattro (German road tests).

For heavy modding though, look to a Quattro for better take off, as far as top speed (ungoverned) the 2wd wins.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jinxonator
QUATTRO IS A MUST! just my opinion...
agreed.

on the question on engine, i'd get the turbo if you're concerned about fuel economy.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

My fiancée has a 2.0T VW Tiguan (same engine as the A4 2.0T) with FWD instead of AWD and the wheelspin on it is a bitch. Go Quattro, and go 2.0T; it's slightly better on gas, a bit more fun to drive, and a LOT more fun to drive with a $600 ECU upgrade.

Brian

Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure how the quattro would be better on gas. Quattro adds additional weight and thus the slightly worse gas mileage. It not bad but the FWD does get better gas mileage.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
I am not sure how the quattro would be better on gas. Quattro adds additional weight and thus the slightly worse gas mileage. It not bad but the FWD does get better gas mileage.
You are correct. Quattro's use on avg 1 to 2 liters more fuel when compared to the 2wd. They are a bit better on take off for those who are not good at keeping the Front wheels under control. Once they get up to cruising speed (in Germany) the F-trac will walk away from the Quattro. Top speed for a Quattro (non-governed) 235kmh for a 2wd 243kmh. On the other hand, if you have a lot of snow, the Quattro is unbeatable!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 AM
1st Gear

I love my cvt transmission on the 2.0...fuel efficient as heck..however some cvt owners dont like em...it rocks on gas mileage...would i like a quattro? sure especially on bad road days. maybe next audi ;-)

Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by phosphateb
I love my cvt transmission on the 2.0...fuel efficient as heck..however some cvt owners dont like em...it rocks on gas mileage...would i like a quattro? sure especially on bad road days. maybe next audi ;-)
Noted CVT hater here. Sure the Gas mileage is decent on that car but that is a FWD tranny only. If you want AWD with that you are out of luck. I don't like CVT because I don't feel the power of the car and solid shifts. Just feels like a clutch slipping.

Ever drive a DSG tranny? You can get one of those in the A3. It shifts so damn fast like a formula one car.

Quick Reply: Buying first Audi: 3.2 or 2.0T? Quattro or no?