B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Buying a car with 140k?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I did have respect for you but apparently your lack of experience has just been demonstrated.
your homer simpson logic can be taken to another car site for all i'm concerned. for 50 years of experience i'd expect more from you. it's pathetic actually.

2wdblazer, take notes. i plan to keep my car until the wheels fall off. you're one of many (paranoid?) people in general who sell their cars after a certain mileage or a certain time frame because you hedge your bet against a repair happening after some "experience". well, i hedge my bets the other way. i have full confidence in the cars i buy and i don't wait for the sky to fall after a certain time or mileage. i'll chime in to report any failures at 140k, 240k or 540k miles. stay tuned.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2wdBlazer

Lets just get into facts. 140K is more likey to break or start needing regular maintainence than say a 50K mile car. IF the person is buying the 140k mile car because it barely is fitting their budjet, they need to be prepared for the car to start breaking. Breaking these cars is usually not in budjet and if the budjet is tight it just may be more cost effective to get something lower mileage or different all together.
Facts are ALL cars regardless of mileage need regular maintenance, hence the term regular, if timing belt is done at 110K miles when car is new, then it is still 110K mile interval when the car has 250K on it.....Audi is not a 'budget' car, if someone is buying it because it just fits in under what they can afford and doesn't have money to maintain it, or pay for premium gas, etc... then they are buying it for the wrong reason. No offence to the OP but my guess is he is in his late teens or early twenty's and wants to buy an audi because he thinks it is 'cool' and other people will be like Oooo, ahhhhh, don't get me wrong it might score you a little bit of *** but not a reason to buy this car

Seeing as I bought my car with 125K, I will resurrect this thread in a couple years to let you know what problems I did or did not encounter....

Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

Nice speculation. The reason I chose this price range was the fact that I want to pay cash and not take out a loan. I'm in my mid-20's but am financially stable, own a house, have a good job. To assume I want the car because I think its "cool" is a fair assumption. However nobody is shopping for a car that they don't "want". Given the fact that with regular maintenance and some common care these cars have a decent reputation of being reliable and good performing cars. If Kia or Hyundai offered a AWD system that was as praised as Audi's Quattro I would consider it. I'm not going to simply invest in a car I have no pleasure driving.

I have decided to wait out and possibly increase my budget for a lower mileage car. (tough finding a 06-10 a4 quattro manual)

Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 700kid
Nice speculation. The reason I chose this price range was the fact that I want to pay cash and not take out a loan. I'm in my mid-20's but am financially stable, own a house, have a good job. To assume I want the car because I think its "cool" is a fair assumption. However nobody is shopping for a car that they don't "want". Given the fact that with regular maintenance and some common care these cars have a decent reputation of being reliable and good performing cars. If Kia or Hyundai offered a AWD system that was as praised as Audi's Quattro I would consider it. I'm not going to simply invest in a car I have no pleasure driving.

I have decided to wait out and possibly increase my budget for a lower mileage car. (tough finding a 06-10 a4 quattro manual)

Good to hear. Yes the AWD was a big part of the reason I decided to buy mine, I actually wanted a late model E46 M3 convertible with the the SMG trans but the RWD is what tipped my decision away because I get year round versatility with my Audi..Good luck with your search, I'm sure your patience will pay off....Cheers!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned

kia/hyundai is trash. those are cars full of quality compromises. audi is in another league.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
your homer simpson logic can be taken to another car site for all i'm concerned. for 50 years of experience i'd expect more from you. it's pathetic actually.

2wdblazer, take notes. i plan to keep my car until the wheels fall off. you're one of many (paranoid?) people in general who sell their cars after a certain mileage or a certain time frame because you hedge your bet against a repair happening after some "experience". well, i hedge my bets the other way. i have full confidence in the cars i buy and i don't wait for the sky to fall after a certain time or mileage. i'll chime in to report any failures at 140k, 240k or 540k miles. stay tuned.
It's all about your delivery buddy. He said nothing to warrant your attack other than not price out a part. That was pretty insane on your part.

I personally budget myself to drive decent cars with a payment I can afford. I personally can't afford a major repair so I keep my cars in warranty and usually buy the maintainence program bulit into the loan or lease. That way I have zero surprises. Thats just me, and it has worked for 20 years of buying new cars. New car every 4 years means Happy Wife = Happy Life.

My CPO saved me about $5k worth of money I could not spare.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 700kid

Wish I had done the same. I traded my 2004 A6 for a brand new 2010 Mazda 3. Although the 3 was a great car in it's own right I missed my Audi. Ended up trading for my 2008 A4 and couldn't be happier. Keep your eyes out, something will pop up soon enough.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2wdBlazer
It's all about your delivery buddy. He said nothing to warrant your attack other than not price out a part. That was pretty insane on your part.

I personally budget myself to drive decent cars with a payment I can afford. I personally can't afford a major repair so I keep my cars in warranty and usually buy the maintainence program bulit into the loan or lease. That way I have zero surprises. Thats just me, and it has worked for 20 years of buying new cars. New car every 4 years means Happy Wife = Happy Life.

My CPO saved me about $5k worth of money I could not spare.
no you missed my point actually. you focus on his misunderstanding of the cost. he said the water pump would be lucky to make it to the timing belt change interval. nowhere in the maintenance manual does it say that the water pump needs to be changed. of course it's a luxury to change it every time you change the timing belt but it's not required.

what you do with your cars is your thing. i could care less. jagtoes bashes audi often so i called him out with whatever delivery you care to take as.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

Lease is ok if you don't mind having a car payment for the rest of your life..

Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ericcg82
Lease is ok if you don't mind having a car payment for the rest of your life..
As stated.............Happy Wife, Happy life. $450 a month to always have a new car and never have to worry about breakdowns is just been worked into my budget over the years. I buy sometimes but leases are cheaper sometimes when I trade anyway. I was so close to getting a B8 this time but numbers just did not work out.

Quick Reply: Buying a car with 140k?