B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Brake change at dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bnazza
Brake light just came on, dealership told me they would soon and quoted me $800 to change front and rear pads and front rotor.

Should I just go ahead and go with them or is it worth the money I could save by going with Just Brakes or Meineke?

I'm not about to purchase and try to do the work myself, and I don't want to end up with inferior brakes.

Thanks for any advice.
You'll have better quality brakes and know its done right and not about to fall apart.

$800 is theft as far as I'm concerned. You could do those brakes with MUCH higher quality parts for a few hours in your driveway and half the price.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RedneckinaSuit

$800 is theft as far as I'm concerned. You could do those brakes with MUCH higher quality parts for a few hours in your driveway and half the price.

higher quality parts? I believe the OE (not to be confused with OEM) parts are of a very high quality, what makes you believe after-market parts are far superior to genuine parts which have been designed, tested and engineered to work with this vehicle? I would not buy after-market rotors unless you are looking to change them again when they warp and the Audi rotors cost anywhere from $110-200 each.

I believe that yes he could have saved money by doing the labour himself, and brakes are fairly easy and straightforward but if you don't know what you are doing or do not feel comfortable doing it then it is probably better not to as you might cause more damage and cost you more in the end. i.e. incorrectly retract/compress the piston caliper would result in a new caliper which is $400 a pop.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

So you're saying nobody makes a better part than Audi? Well Jeez I should take apart my Jeep and reinstall all OEM stuff. Apparently all those bent control arms were an act of god and not caused by the fact that the OEM was garbage compared to aftermarket.

If you're installing NAPA aftermarket then yes its garbage. But are you saying BBS doesnt make a stronger wheel than stock? That LII doesnt make a stronger shackle than Jeep?

There are numerous examples of aftermarket being FAR superior to stock, why do you think we modify our vehicles? Its certainly not JUST to spend money.

A Haynes/Chilton manual and a car forum are all you need to learn. And if you dont want to go that route everyone knows someone who is a mechanic so its pretty easy to find someone to stand behind you holding a beer while you learn how to work. Thats how I learnt, thats how my step father learnt and thats how his father learnt.

If you want to sit in your dream world pretending that your OEM parts are stronger than all else and that Audi couldnt possibly have built a lower quality part than ANYONE else then thats fine and its your choice. But please dont try and convince people that Audis are the strongest parts known to man. I guarantee you many companies have improved on Audi designs over the years.

No disrespect meant.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Certified

Owning a Jeep is much different than owning a fine German made vehicle. Yes replacing anything on them is an improvement!
Doing this for a living for the past 32 years i have found the best quality parts for the German cars are the factory parts!
If you want to go or stop faster or go around a racetrack with you car , yes there are performance upgrades that will make the car perform better.
Not dising American made vehicle for i also have a F350. Just stating simple facts.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

My point is he's not asking what the guy does with his vehicle. And no there is very little you can improve on a Jeep if you're driving it normally. It'll outlast any Audi on the road thats for sure.

If hes just driving around normally and doesnt want to move faster stop faster or do anything beyond normal driving then yes OEM parts are the best option for longevity. but they're not the BEST parts.

Control arms for example, you can get stronger ones, better designed ones, but they wont outlast the OEM ones.

That being said, OEM parts are usually built to standards to make them last but within reasonable price range. They're very reasonably built but they're by no means the highest quality.

Its just a very closed minded way of seeing things, strikes me as the view point that if you didnt pay a boatload for whatever it is you own or do then you're a loser and or whatever you bought will explode.

It's simply incorrect. There are many manufacturers that exceed OEM specs.

Edit: FYI Jeep Transmissions are German, made by Aisen-Warner.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RedneckinaSuit
So you're saying nobody makes a better part than Audi?
I never said that, I asked "what makes you believe after-market parts are far superior to genuine parts which have been designed, tested and engineered to work with this vehicle?"

You come out and say that he could have done it with "MUCH higher quality parts" yet you do not give one example of what would be considered a better part, in this case brakes...Yes the brakes can be upgraded but if you read the OP you will notice he was asking about meinake/just brakes/Audi, which leads me to believe that he is replacing them for wear and is not in the market to upgrade to something better, it also tells me that he isn't looking to spend a ton of money to do it, he mentions that he 'doesn't want inferior brakes' which sounds like he is trying to maintain the performance he has not upgrade nor degrade it...Here I'll show you upgrades, mind you they all cost more then $800..

Audi B7 A4 Quattro 2.0T > Braking > ECS Stage 1 > ES#2691 Replica Rotor Set - 2-Piece Cross-Drilled & Slotted (321x30) - 8D0615301K2PXS

That is just the rotors and you are spending over $600....

You say he could do it for HALF with much better parts, please enlighten me with some facts, show me links to superior parts for front pads, rotors, and rear pads for $400, I'm waiting.....

Oh and don't compare Jeep to Audi, I'm not saying any one is better then the other but that is like me saying my orange tastes sweeter then my pear, lets compare apples to apples...

Again OEM is NOT the same as OE, everyone seems to make that mistake....

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Taking the most expensive brakes they make and calling it your argument doesnt prove your point. I can go out and pick Midas for example and say there you go. Those guys provide lifetime warranty on their brake rotors and 100k on their Pads.

They work great at stopping my 3/4 ton truck so if they can stop that with 10 000lbs on the back I'm certain it can stop your car.

My point is you can do it much cheaper yourself. You can still buy Audi parts, it doesnt exclude you from buying them.

I never said OEM was OE, not sure why you keep reiterating that.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Those are by far not the most expensive, I grabbed the first one I saw that you can buy without upgrading calipers and other parts to accommodate them, you can spend $1000's of dollars on brake upgrades if you so desire...Yes you can buy Audi parts from Audi and do it yourself, why don't you call Audi and ask how much 1 rotor is, buying parts online is far cheaper for the same part for the dealer, how do I know? because I called them and ask, rotors run almost $200 each, so there is your $400 brake job and no pads...

Still waiting for you to back up with proof that you can buy the parts that he had replaced for $400, but all you keep talking about is your Jeep, so what Audi do you own and where do you get your parts that you replace on it?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear

I think the point of all this is to not go cheap. If you want good parts, then it's going to cost you. But with cars like these, why would anyone want to go cheap. I've seen it many times, where a person buys a very pricey premium car then puts cheap parts on it. They put the cheapest tires, brakes, etc on the car. They won't use synthetic oil, or the recomended/required premium fuel. Then they wonder why their car doesn't drive as well or last as long as someone elses identical car.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ericcg82
Those are by far not the most expensive, I grabbed the first one I saw that you can buy without upgrading calipers and other parts to accommodate them, you can spend $1000's of dollars on brake upgrades if you so desire...Yes you can buy Audi parts from Audi and do it yourself, why don't you call Audi and ask how much 1 rotor is, buying parts online is far cheaper for the same part for the dealer, how do I know? because I called them and ask, rotors run almost $200 each, so there is your $400 brake job and no pads...

Still waiting for you to back up with proof that you can buy the parts that he had replaced for $400, but all you keep talking about is your Jeep, so what Audi do you own and where do you get your parts that you replace on it?
Big shot, Go read my intro.

My last post I never mentioned the Jeep.

And here you go.
Audi A4 2008 3.2L Brakes FRONT

Those will work just fine. Pull your head out of your *** and open your mind. Not everyone needs "Genuine Audi" stamped all over their damn ride. Mine sure as **** wont, especially if it means I need to act like a douche such as yourself when multiple times I've taken your childish shots and retorted with adult, thought out response.

Grow up.

If people want to do stuff themselves let them, just because you have a car you cant work on yourself don't put others down for doing so.

End of discussion, I'm not clogging up the forums with this useless garbage.

Last edited by RedneckinaSuit; 02-08-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake change at dealership?