B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Brake change at dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake change at dealership?

Brake light just came on, dealership told me they would soon and quoted me $800 to change front and rear pads and front rotor.

Should I just go ahead and go with them or is it worth the money I could save by going with Just Brakes or Meineke?

I'm not about to purchase and try to do the work myself, and I don't want to end up with inferior brakes.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

Car is a 2008 A4 3.2L by the way, 55k miles

Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by bnazza
Brake light just came on, dealership told me they would soon and quoted me $800 to change front and rear pads and front rotor.

Should I just go ahead and go with them or is it worth the money I could save by going with Just Brakes or Meineke?

I'm not about to purchase and try to do the work myself, and I don't want to end up with inferior brakes.

Thanks for any advice.
I would try & locate a independent euro repair shop for a second opinion.

I would also stay clear of predatory chain shops like Meineke! Don't be fooled by deceptive advertising.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bnazza

Thanks for any advice.
I just did my kids 2007 A4 with Akebono front ceramic pads at $120 and Wagner Ceramic pads on the rear at $50. Both front and rear rotors were well within spec and did not need replacing and were not turned. Brake light turned on at 52K miles and when I pulled the front pads they were almost done. Ceramic pads appear to be almost dust free leaving the wheels pretty clean. So you do the math and see what you want to spend. The pads are easy to change and there are a few utube videos on how to do it.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Certified

Remember you get what you pay for

Cheaper isn't always better.

I wouldn't let Meineke or Pep Boys change my wiper blades.

A good reputable EURO shop should be more than ok and you'll save some dollars

Old 02-03-2012, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
Remember you get what you pay for

Cheaper isn't always better.
+1...

Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

I bit the bullet and had the dealership do the work. I figured Meineke and the like probably wasn't the way to go but wanted to check with some of you who know.

Thanks for the advice.

New brakes are great by the way. Just like the old ones!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear

Good choice. I got my front pads and rotors a little under $500 at the dealer. OEM parts, so the car behaves just like it did before. Don't know if the cheap pads even have the little sensor built in that triggers when the pads get low.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

I can't believe they they charge that kind of money. It's a shame you could not do it yourself as that is almost robbery. Brakes areusually $100 -$200 if you or a friend could have done them and usually pretty simple.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by B7Night
Good choice. I got my front pads and rotors a little under $500 at the dealer. OEM parts, so the car behaves just like it did before. Don't know if the cheap pads even have the little sensor built in that triggers when the pads get low.
Honestly, I find that a little sad. It's not like you can't tell when your brakes are starting to get low without the fancy dashboard indicator. People have been driving cars for decades without it. No way I'm paying $500 for something I could do for less than half (even without doing the work myself).

I'm almost due for front brakes. I'm going to buy the ceramic Akebono pads that jagtoes recommended and either do it myself or have my mechanic friend (who will only charge me a reasonable amount of labor) do it. Hopefully, I won't need new rotors yet since I'm only at 56k miles.

Quick Reply: Brake change at dealership?