B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Best way to drive my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Best way to drive my car?

I've never had so many options with driving a car because all my previous cars have been manual. Obviously the most gas efficient way would be just keeping the car in D, but does anyone use S mode or Tip a lot? I used Tip coming down a mountain road the other day but I just hope I am not hurting my engine by revving so high.

'07 Audi A4 w/Quattro Auto

Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
4th Gear

I like reverse

I drive in S a good deal. drinks gas though. just don't redline all the time and drive how you want.

Last edited by railrunner; 05-12-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Nah, you won't hurt it.

I mostly drive in D, sometimes S, and rarely Tip. But I'm also chipped, which makes a big difference, so D isn't so boring anymore. Before I got chipped I drove in S a lot, now there's not as big a difference between D and S.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

i always throw mine in neutral when going down a hill...car rolls super and gains speed. i hope i am saving gas when the rpm meter drops to 800 rpm down a hill.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear

Probably save more gas if you leave it in gear... if it's in neutral it has to burn gas to keep it at idle. If it you leave it in gear, it will slow you a little, but shouldn't use any gas... I guess it's kind of a tossup. :/

Old 05-24-2009, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

im not gonna say either or, but someone once told me "engines make cars go, brakes are whats used to slow it down" idk call me an idiot but im a neutral coasting guy down hills

Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

guys good comments...a question for an audi motor engineer! if i dont save gas in neutral i will stop it but normally use the cruise everywhere i can and try to keep my foot off the gas pedal and have the computer speed it up for me with my left hand.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

You also save allot of gas by:

- Taking the best line through a turn (APEX)

- Maintaining momentum on a downhill to coast more on the uphill

- Not weaving in your lane

- Using your brakes to slow the car down as opposed to ALWAYS gearing down. Sounds cool but blows gas and wears out your clutch faster.

- Playing Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 or GT5 Prologue on PS3 to learn all this stuff.

- AND THE MOST IMPORTANT! Keeping your tires properly inflated

All these tips will save you gas and is easier on the car. Erratic and jerky driving can wear out your ride pretty quickly

Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

yea cruise control can help you 'float' better

the term float is best describe by driving on the highway and trying to use as little pressure on the gas pedal as possible to keep the car going at the speed you want.....according to a lot of car mags thats the best way to get the most of your driving....the easiest way to do this is cruise control because the computer can float alot better then a human can....i try to neutral down hills and cruise control in all other times during my highway drives....once i get on a curvy roads tho i beat the crap outta my car but all in all i equal out to a solid 28-30 mpg depending on the trip

good post pablo everything u said i completely agree with (except the PS3 comment....everyone knows that xbox 360 is a better agming platform :-P)

Old 05-24-2009, 05:22 PM

(pablo) I heard the downshifting actually saves has.
i know it doesnt make sense, or at least not to me but i was wondering wat you guys thaught...

Quick Reply: Best way to drive my car?