B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

b7 trans swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 AM
1st Gear
Question b7 trans swap

hi guys, wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. or has done a simple swap like this on a b7.

i have a b7 a4 s-line quattro with traction control. I've been looking into swapping out the trans from a tip to a 6 speed i've searched all over the web and have found nothing but, 2.7t swaps from the a6 and b5 s4 swaps which i don't really care about. i just wanna know if lets say get a 6 speed trans from any other b7 will it bolt up with out to much hassle and what parts do you need to make it possible...

please don't tell me about any other swaps besides the one i asked about i just wanna keep this swap clean and simple thanks a lot hope to hear some some good feed back from all you guys....

Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

so im guessing ill need an 02x or an 0A3 trans with proper gear ratios possible rear diff front axles if i dont have to change the rear diff out

Last edited by b7kidd1024; 01-06-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

Just sell it and buy another car. You have to replace the differentials, and possibly the drive shafts, you will also have to get a torsen center diff. The diff is integrated into the auto, but a separate unit with the manual. You will also have to get into the computer and figure out what to software change and or shut off, so that the car doesn't freak out that it cant find the transmission. You also run the risk of voiding any warranty on the car that might be remaining, such as the cam follower warrantied to 120,000, or getting into trouble for selling a car that was modified and no longer meets fed requirements. I'd just sell it if I were you and get another one.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

I'm not gonna be selling the car anytime soon. I just wanted to know if its possible I read it works with the b6 and b5 models and using vag to do the Re coding. But If I were to get a wrecked b7 that's manual and swap what I need over theoretically should that work. Sorry if this goes against your advice I'm just hell bent on doing this swap some how. @b7Night thanks for your response.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

I have a B7 with a tip-tronic transmission in it, I want to swap it over to a manual, I haven't done the swap yet, but I bought a smashed B7 with the parts I need. Everyone says sell the car and buy a manual...but for those of us that don't want to do this, there has to be a way to do the conversion. That is why I looked into this. The major parts you will need is:

-Transmission
-There is a transmission wiring harness that needs to be changed, just unplug and replug
-Driveshaft needs to be either lengthened or shortened, not a big deal
-Shifter box and linkage
-Hydraulics for the clutch
-Pedal cluster
-clutch and flywheel

and a few other small things but nothing major

Im looking into the rear diff right now, but even if I do need one there only 150 used.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

I think it would be much cheaper to just swap the car for a manual one, there are hundreds of components that would need changing just to get close, even then you would probably run into issues and the car wouldn't drive right.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

@nic4571 which trans do you plan on using. I have the gve 6/sd tip in mine. i cant seem to find whit man trans that will bolt up to mine. but everything else seems like it will be a peace of cake and looking into parts for the swap doesn't seem to break the bank too much.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

There are not that many parts that need to be changed. For someone who wants to do it, its very doable. There are not hundreds of parts that need to be changed, if so id like to know what they are? The bell housings will be the same from a 2.0T, a transmission should bolt of weather its a manual or automatic. What issues are you seeing why it wouldn't bolt up?

Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

from some of the pictures i was looking at it seemed like some of the bolt pattern on the bell housing was slightly different and maybe gapped a little different. the closest one that i found was a s4 b7 trans that pretty much looked exact. i even went as far as to go to the dealer and ask if they knew of any compatible man trans for my car and they looked at like i had three heads. i just don't wanna buy a trans and not have it line up. @nic4571. thanks for your thoughts

Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

I really don't know why it would have a different bolt pattern, i know there are different transmission codes, and i guess the next thing would be to look into the different codes and see what they mean

Quick Reply: b7 trans swap