B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

B7 Model A4 Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default B7 Model A4 Start Issues

Hi All!
I'm new to Audi- as in I just bought my 2007 A4 Quattro a month and a half ago.

The car has been running perfectly until the past few days. When I go to start the car, I crank the key in the ignition, and the car chokes about 4-5 times before it will start. However, this is not happening every time I start the car. An example is this morning, I turned the key in the ignition and started the car without issue (no choke, started on first attempt). 2 hours later I went to start the car, turned the key in the ignition and it choked about 8 times before I took the key out completely. I let the car sit for a few minutes and tried to start it again, and it again started without issue.

This has happened three times in the last 3 days and I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else out there? Are there any known issues that cause this to happen? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Just as a side-note, the car was purchased at a Lexus dealership and came with a limited CPO warranty. They did a full inspection and no issues came up. The dealership recently performed an oil & air filter change, and the car only has 31k miles on it.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by clark.am2
Hi All!
I'm new to Audi- as in I just bought my 2007 A4 Quattro a month and a half ago.

The car has been running perfectly until the past few days. When I go to start the car, I crank the key in the ignition, and the car chokes about 4-5 times before it will start. However, this is not happening every time I start the car. An example is this morning, I turned the key in the ignition and started the car without issue (no choke, started on first attempt). 2 hours later I went to start the car, turned the key in the ignition and it choked about 8 times before I took the key out completely. I let the car sit for a few minutes and tried to start it again, and it again started without issue.

This has happened three times in the last 3 days and I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else out there? Are there any known issues that cause this to happen? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Just as a side-note, the car was purchased at a Lexus dealership and came with a limited CPO warranty. They did a full inspection and no issues came up. The dealership recently performed an oil & air filter change, and the car only has 31k miles on it.

Thanks!
Are there any check engine light on?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

Nope, no lights are illuminating. The car does the auto system check upon start up, and everything is checking out "OK"

Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Fuel Filter?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

Could be your coil packs (I had a couple bad CP 3 years ago) they can cause bad/ rough starts. Audi had a recall on those.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear

Like aetius said, if the coil packs haven't been replaced under recall (Audi should be able to check by VIN), get those done. Another thing you could try is the next time you let it sit a long period of time and it is likely to happen, turn the key to ON for just a second or two before you turn it to start. This will get the low pressure fuel pump primed (you might hear it humming--I do in my 2006) and it might start better. If that helps all the time, you might have a LPFP problem starting.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Certified

i would get the car scanned with a Vag-Com. There could be pending codes for either a cam or crankshaft sensor looming in the memory.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Thank you all, I really appreciate your input. I'm down the street from an Audi dealer, so I'll drop by and ask about the coil pack and see if they can run the vag-com while I'm there.

Thanks again for all of your help! Hopefully this is easily diagnosed/fixed- if not, I'll be back...

Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

the exact same thing is happening to me, I have the diesle automatic (05) was your problem the coil pack? thanks

Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JoshCorps
the exact same thing is happening to me, I have the diesle automatic (05) was your problem the coil pack? thanks
Even if his was the coil packs, yours is not going to be coil packs ... yours is a diesel

Last edited by Sarge786; 02-21-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: B7 Model A4 Start Issues