B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

AOA Now Extending Warranty For CAM Follower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
Default AOA Now Extending Warranty For CAM Follower?

Could this be true?

Read here:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2804573

Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Certified

News to me...... If its not a recall then its NOT covered. They stated you have to call in, which means it would be based on a case by case basis, which could end up screwing you over. Unless you have it in writting.... there is no guarantee and i would personally not risk it... I would fork over the bucks to replace it myself or have it replaced.

I'm not promoting work for the dealer..... Get it replaced however you can. I'm just trying to save you a headache.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

AOA is apparently in the process of sending out letters to registered owners, so there's no need to call. If your VIN falls withing the range that they listed, you're covered by the extended warranty. I've done some additional research and this has been confirmed. For some reason however, the 2008's aren't included in the VIN range yet. Not sure if that's because most of them are still under the 4 year warranty or if it's because they didn't have the same part/problem, although I recall people with 2008's on these boards having the problem. Hopefully, AOA will expand the VIN range at some point. It would be hard for them to argue that the 2008's shouldn't also be covered by the extended warranty if they incur the failure.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear

Yep, the warranty on the cam follower has been extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles. The rep I talked to said that the first round of letters to be sent were mailed last Tuesday. If it goes, they will replace the intake cam, follower, the hp fuel pump, and if needed the engine oil.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

sorry to bring this old thread back up.

Today I received a letter from Audi forwarded to me by the previous owner. It says that warranty for my avant has been extended to 10 yrs or 120K miles.

My question is, can I bring the car to audi for the camshaft / follower replacement even if I'm not getting any codes for this?

I'm in a bit confused after reading all the horrible stories about cam follower failing and causing all sorts of troubles. I don't want to wait for the codes to show up because by that time it may be too late.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear

You could bring it in and have them replace it. If they find that it's bad, they ought to cover it. If upon removing it it's still in good shape, you'll have to foot the bill.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Oh i see.. What is their definition of bad? If they see the coating is all gone but see no damge to the cam, is it still bad?

I'm thinking of looking at it first then just putting it back together again.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

We got the letter 3 months ago for my kids 2007. She talked to here local dealer and they said if you want it changed then bring it in. They would assume it is bad and do the service and bill Audi. If you want to wait it out then you have the 100K 10 years to have it fail. They would replace all parts associated withe the failure.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

I just finished a 1600 mile road trip and discovered that gasoline was leaking out of the top of my HPFP, near whatever electrical connection is there. Needless to say, after I confirmed my VIN qualified for the extended warranty, it is sitting at the dealership waiting for inspection and repair. I do not like driving around with a fire extinguisher.

The language of the letter does not say that the issue absolutely has to be related to the illumination of the MIL. Here's hoping the pump and follower are replaced free of charge.

I watched a YouTube video of an individual that had exactly the same problem I have, so it is clearly not an isolated issue. A drop or two every 4-5 seconds. I would suggest that all of you pop the plastic cover off the top of your 2.0T motor and take a peek. It leaked regardless of if the engine was running or not.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

I'm definitely going to replace mine, before 60k whether there is a warranty or not, DIY style. 50 dollars for the piece of mind is well worth it.

Quick Reply: AOA Now Extending Warranty For CAM Follower?