B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Advice Needed, Engine issues after accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Advice Needed, Engine issues after accident

In December 2006 I hit a deer while driving at least 70mph on the interstate while living in Illinois. I thought the car was totaled as it was only 4 months old, with maybe 3k miles at the time. They said the damage was $20k!!!!, butthat it was all cosmetic save for collapsed valves and a damaged timing chain. I fought them for about 2 weeks trying to get them to just total the damn thing, but in the end I lost that battle.

So after 3 months without the car I got it back and it drove great. First problem that came up was about 2 months after I got it back I realized the A/C wasn't working (May 2007 now). When I originallypicked it up from body shop it was winter and it was about 15-20*F outside, so no need for A/C. After a couple days back in the shop that was fixed. I was pissed, but oh well I LOVE My car and it drove like a dream. Through the summer the car was perfect, and I thought all was well. But then around October 2007 the low coolant light came on. I popped the hood and see pink crap splattered all over the engine and hoses. At the time I was about to move to california so I figured once I got out here I'd have it fixed (I trailered the car out here). I refilled the coolant and sort of forgot about it, as I just started my own Chiropractic clinic out here in Cali.

Well today Iwent to the dealer for my 25k service and asked them to look at it andalso my power steering too since I had heard a couple weird noises lately when turning. Turns outI have a power steering pumpleak,missing and loose nuts on myintake, a small coolant leak, and something I didn't even expect to hear. I have a HUGE crack in my transmission mount that was so bad they wouldn't let me drive the car home.

Since I explained that there was a deer collision back in Dec 2006 they said it wouldn't be covered under warranty and I need to get my insurance to reopen the case. What recourse do I have with my auto insurance???? Like I said, there are a ton of problems with the car, and this vehicle is aLEASE!!!! I'm concerned that I will be screwed when I turn it in or if I try to roll into another lease with an A5.

I'm really pissed off, and feel like my auto insurance owes me some money to cover the drop in value of the vehicle due to all these problems. Should I lawyer up?? Any tips or advice would be very helpful.