B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

89k still reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM
1st Gear
Default 89k still reliable?

I'm thinking about trading in my 2011 Lancer for this Audi A4.

2005 Audi A4 for sale in Blue Springs - WAUDF68E25A432803 – Molle Chevrolet

I test drove it a few days ago and I had a few questions that I hope somebody could answer for me. This is the only Audi I have ever driven, so please excuse any dumb questions.

While idling, I noticed the car sort of... bounces slightly. Its very very very slight, but its definitely there. I'm not sure if that's just how this car is or if I'm used to a brand new car. The dealership had informed me that the timing belt on this particular model wasn't due to be replaced until around 110k miles. I'm not sure if this is true, as I have seen a lot of info online about them being changed at 90k.

Given that it may need a tune up, and some little odds and ends replaced here and there, how reliable would you say this car is? There is a carfax report on it that shows one owner and it has had all scheduled maintenance done.

The interior and exterior of the car are both in near perfect condition. I say near because there is a scratch on the passenger side door that is about... a quarter of an inch long. Other than that everything in perfect and there is no wear and tear in or out.

I'm sorry that some of this is a little vague, but I'm not sure what information to actually post haha. If I'm missing anything, or if there are any specifics that you may need to help answer my questions, please ask. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

the idle can be a bit rough but it's a 4 banger with big fuel injectors so it's not like a smooth v8. having owned many cars, my audi has been-by far-the most reliable and fun to drive. they really are made with premium components that just don't quit. the one you found is a nice color too.

i had a letter sent to me from audi saying that the timing belt needs a change at 175,000 km. the owners manual said something like 115,000 km. if the same is true for yours then you won't need to change it for a while.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

yeah timing belt change is 110K miles or 175Km, I would try and talk him down a bit based on the fact that you have to do the timing belt soon, as audi charges about $1600+tax here so call audi around you and see what they charge for it and then tell him "Look I am going to have to spend XX dollars soon on that timing belt so can you do anything with the price to help with that? As long as maintenance had been done they are good cars and reliable as far as I am concerned, I do a lot of long drives so that is something I always look for in a car as I don't want to get stranded in bumphuck idaho on a road trip....

Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear

Nice find. Love the color, it's a quattro, and the price seems in the right ballpark. I say ****** it up.

As to the vibration at idle, there are a few easy fixes that it might be, or it might just be the naturally vibratey engine of these models. I have a 2006 and I liken it to being in a diesel. I've been told it's normal, it smooths out a little once the engine is warmed up, and it hasn't caused me a problem in nearly 2 years of owning mine so far.

Get a few bucks off for the upcoming timing belt change if you can, but I say grab that one up. You might also have an Audi dealership pull the VIN's service records if they will. Might give you some info on the service history.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Picked it up and it was a straight trade for my Lancer, which is fine with me. It drives like its brand new. The only thing is that I would like to put a nice indash GPS to replace the current stock 6 disc changer. Any suggestions as to what to get?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

have him put new plugs in and change trans if it is a auto...ask him if they will put in a new timing belt then u r gtg! BUY IT!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 AM
2nd Gear

There are a couple of aftermarket decks that can be put in (search around and you will find lots of information). Pioneer seems to be a popular choice. The easiest route is to put in the factory unit, but that is pricey and not as feature rich as the aftermarket radio/GPS combos.

Welcome to the Audi club.