B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2007 B7 Build..

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rmacgurn
Love what you did, i am in the middle of a redo of my 2006 A4 quattro 2.0T 6sp, used to live in Scottsdale now Costa Rica and its is costly here to import anything. Next up better radio and nav system. Can you tell me where you got the new head unit model etc and if it was really a no brainier to install? what about codes for ECU anything to change, if so what? my car has a basic sym stereo, no nav, or big screen, tape, CD, aux for iphone/ipod and blue tooth from factory.

thanks, and keep up the good work on your car...

rick
I got the Navigation from here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...t_13482wt_1139.

It works OK to say the truth. The screen went out after two weeks on the first order; however they paid the return shipping as well as sent me a new unit. BUT, it took almost 3 weeks from there and back to receive the replacement. The navigation works very well,but when the iPod comes on it plays the first song by NAME every single time you start your car. Kinda annoying...

To put the stock RSN-E would be about twice as much and still no iPod connection without a separate cable which add's another $100+.

Overall, for half the price and effort I am quite happy with the unit when all is said and done.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 07A4Turbo
I got the Navigation from here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...t_13482wt_1139.

It works OK to say the truth. The screen went out after two weeks on the first order; however they paid the return shipping as well as sent me a new unit. BUT, it took almost 3 weeks from there and back to receive the replacement. The navigation works very well,but when the iPod comes on it plays the first song by NAME every single time you start your car. Kinda annoying...

To put the stock RSN-E would be about twice as much and still no iPod connection without a separate cable which add's another $100+.

Overall, for half the price and effort I am quite happy with the unit when all is said and done.
Ok, All good, and no mention of any ECU programing via VAG software to get working? a couple more questions if i am not asking to much. the back up camera you installed was it just as simple as routing the wire to the jack on the back of the receiver and everything else via the setup on the receiver? how does it know your in reverse, i have a 6 sp. lastly how well does the nav work, is it turn by turn with voice instructions like garmin? what file formats does it use as i will need to look for NAV files for central America.....

thanks again for your time...and advice

Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rmacgurn
Ok, All good, and no mention of any ECU programing via VAG software to get working? a couple more questions if i am not asking to much. the back up camera you installed was it just as simple as routing the wire to the jack on the back of the receiver and everything else via the setup on the receiver? how does it know your in reverse, i have a 6 sp. lastly how well does the nav work, is it turn by turn with voice instructions like garmin? what file formats does it use as i will need to look for NAV files for central America.....

thanks again for your time...and advice
You won't have to do anything with the VAG com for the radio and the camera was really easy to install. It automatically goes into the cam when in reverse so you don't have to hook up the signal wire, just the RCA. The navigation works great, it's very accurate. It does have the voice turn my turn but I turned it off because it got annoying. I just look down at the screen for the directional arrow and follow that when it's on.

As for the format I would email the person you buy the unit from, the maps came pre-loaded for me so it was plug and play.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 07A4Turbo
You won't have to do anything with the VAG com for the radio and the camera was really easy to install. It automatically goes into the cam when in reverse so you don't have to hook up the signal wire, just the RCA. The navigation works great, it's very accurate. It does have the voice turn my turn but I turned it off because it got annoying. I just look down at the screen for the directional arrow and follow that when it's on.

As for the format I would email the person you buy the unit from, the maps came pre-loaded for me so it was plug and play.
one more thing i wanted to ask you as i am doing the same as you now. where did you get your backup camera, and how did you run the wires? did it come with that much cable or did you buy more and what type. since i am in CR i don't want to make any mistakes on the order. thanks again. for your help

Old 07-04-2011, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

Where did you get the wheels? They are RS6 replicas right? Or off of the b8 s4?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

What route did you route the rear camera wire? I have had one in my garage for 5 months and have been too lazy to do it. Curious what may be the easiest route?

Love the wheels too. I am going with the previous version of the RS6 in 18".

Also, you may be the right person to ask this question to... I am planning on going from 17x7.5 w/ ET 35 to 18x8 ET ?? I want my wheels and tires to be flush with the fender... Would the ET on the new wheels be smaller or bigger than current if I want them slightly more outward (wider) Currently they are inward about an inch. Also, I have the S-Line Sport Suspension... is this in any way adjustable?

Thanks