B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2007 a4 S-line Titanium. TO buy or not to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 2007 a4 S-line Titanium. TO buy or not to buy...

Hey guys,
Brand new to the forum here. I am shopping for my first Audi. I have found a 2007 s-line titanium package. It has 82k miles on it. Drove it today and it runs well. Definitely can tell its a used car though.

I asked about the timing belt and pump. Apparently almost the entire engine was rebuilt this August at a dealer in CA. Tires look good, leather is clean, has a bit of a musty smell inside however.

I'm really on the fence. This would be a great way to get into an Audi IMO. They are asking 16,995 with room to negiotiate. I think this is a good price for the model and the fact that the engine is almost brand new.

What other questions should I ask the dealer? What concerns should I have? Or should I quit being a ***** and buy the damn thing?

Thanks guys.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

A couple of questions for you:

When you say "the engine was rebuilt", why was it rebuilt, and do they have all the documentation for the build? If it is fully papered, that's good.

Have you carfaxed it?

Where are you located, and have you hit every carbuying pricing site to get an idea of what you should be paying? The reason I ask is because I bought my 07 with 58k miles on it for $17500 a year ago. For instance, 2007 Audi A4 with that mileage in my area are going for less:

https://usedcars.truecar.com/cars/us...year-2007.2007

Try edmunds:

2007 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro What's it Worth?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

I guess the previous owner took it in for its regular maintenance. He was complaining about lack of power going up hill. The dealer decided to replace the timing belt, water pump, and a few other things. They have the paper work, it was done at a dealer in CA I believe.

I certainly don't plan on paying 16,995.

I just want to make sure I'm not buying my way into a headache. I really like the car and its in my price range. But, I have heard some things about used A4's. Certainly the work that has already been done on it relieves a little stress. But what else should I be on the look out for / expect?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

There's a sticky in the B7 section that's pretty good. It covers a lot of the known issues, and what to do to resolve them. That's where I started before I bought mine.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

^ +1 to that- and welcome to the forums!

You're on the right path. Do as much research as you can. Pull a carfax- most dealers will usually be willing to do this for you. The carfax will -if they're not lying to you and it has been serviced at the dealer- list every event done and when, and provide a phone number for the dealer that did the work. Call them, give them the vin and ask to see their invoice report of what was done- its a little more detailed than the carfax will be. If everything lines up, start talking numbers. The titanium package is dope, and getting hard to find with reasonable miles and good maintenance reports and body condition. I'd bet you can get them down to 15,500 no problem; look up on NADA.com the value of the car. NADA will provide you with a suggested retail value and a trade in value. Base your negotiation off the trade in value. Contrary to popular belief, the trade in value isn't what you can expect to get for your current car when you go to trade it in. Its the estimated maximum value that a dealer will consider it worth- the lowest price they'll go on it because that's the bare minimum upon consideration for buying it as a trade in that they think they can get for it. So essentially, every dollar over that number is straight profit for them. When I bought mine, they were asking 15,000 and the suggested retail was 15,500 but the suggested trade in was 12,600 so I started my negotiation at 13,000, they came back with 14,500, I shot back 13,500 and they settled on that and I walked out financing 15,000- I got them to pay my tax, title and licence fees. So yea, definitely keep on with your research, especially getting the maintenance reports. If those come back clean, definitely jump on it, you won't regret it Good luck to ya!

Oh, and if you feel motivated enough, poke around in here at the B7 section, or search, for my first thread in this section (I started my Audi adventure with a B5 so I've gor 4 years worth of posts in that section before I started posting in the B7 section. I titled it "finally got my b7" or something like that). What I told you about the carfax/dealer maintenance reports was based on first hand experience with my car. I posted pictures in that thread of the dealer's maintenance report that I got, with my own penned in annotations of key services. That report is what ANY used car maintenance report should ALWAYS look like. If you get this one pulled up and it looks like mine did, you're golden, jump on it.