B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2007 A4... recent non-start issues ... want advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Question 2007 A4... recent non-start issues ... want advice

Happy holidays all...

I have a 2007 Audi A4 (B7) 3.2 (which I am loving and is the best car I've ever had) that is at 44500 miles… warranty about to expire @ 45000. Over the past several months, the car has experienced several “non-starts”- i.e. turning the key will cause the car to try to start, but it won’t turn over- acts like a weak battery. I bought a PowerStation from Costco which I charge monthly and keep in the trunk.

I’ve had the following experiences:
1. Mid 2008: Drove short distance to condo complex mailboxes on my way out. Turned off car to get mail; came back and car took 4 attempts to start. Didn't repeat but I mentioned it to the dealer service on my next visit, and they checked the battery and related systems as OK.
2. End of June 2009: returned from a vacation to find the car, which was parked at home for about 5 days, absolutely would not start. Tried to jump using g/f’s Honda Accord (tiny little battery), would not start. Called Audi Roadside to tow the car to the dealer… when they arrived I asked them to try jumping and it started (albeit with a puff of grey+black smoke). Drove the car straight to the dealer service; they again ran some tests on the battery and ignition system and everything checked out OK (of course).
3. Mid-August: Parked the car in a driveway with a fairly steep incline. Wouldn’t start on at least 3 attempts. Dropped the car into neutral and rolled it out level into the street. Started first try.
4. Mid-October: Parked the car in a parking lot with a somewhat steep incline. Wouldn’t start on several attempts. Dropped the car into neutral to get it into a level area, but still wouldn’t start. Attached a PowerStation, started first try.
5. Mid-December: One instance where car took 3 attempts to start.
6. December 22: Jumped a co-worker’s car before driving home (sadly, had the PowerStation at home charging). Parked at home, car started and drove to mall with g/f to go shopping (and fortunately remembered . Came out after about 2.5 hours, car would not start. Attached the PowerStation and car started right away.

I’m taking the car in Monday 12/28 for its 45000 mile service. I will probably have about 200 miles left on my warranty by that time. I also have a recall notice from Audi regarding replacing ignition parts, which seems to be for an unrelated issue.

I expect once I raise these issues (again) the dealer service will test the battery and related systems and tell me it checks out OK. The issue seems minor but I'm concerned it may not be. It could just be an aging battery but if it's abnormal somehow obviously it'd be nice to get it replaced under warranty (if covered).

What advice can you give me regarding what I should tell/ask the dealer service?

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 AM

Replace the battery. From the sounds of it, it is not holding a good charge.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

Where i live in the deep south..once the 3 year mark hits i get a new battery on all my cars..it isnt worth the headache IMO.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the replies (my car is also Dolphin Grey FWIW ;-) ). I went in with the philosophy that had they not been able to locate the problem, I would have paid up to $150 for a battery replacement regardless of warranty.

Much to my surprise, however, they actually did locate the issue... or at least they claim to... turned out to be a faulty relay to the Engine Control Module, replaced under warranty with just 120 miles to spare. Not sure why they didn't locate it on the other two times they tested the car (late 2008 & mid 2009) but maybe it finally fell below some performance threshold.