B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2006 Audi Quatro A4 2.0T ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
oki
1st Gear
Default 2006 Audi Quatro A4 2.0T ?'s

Hello all,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2006 A4 Quatro Sedan Turbo and wanted to know if there is anything I should look for?

I am very car savy but this is my first Audi.

The car has a clean car fax, and was a single owner in Fl car that has just under 55,000 miles.

6 speed manual transmission, drives like a champ, steering is great, alignment, exterior, interior all perfect. Undercarriage you can eat off of except for the exhaust pipeing, which has a little rust on it.

It was recently serviced by the Ford Dealership that has it but they can't figure out how to reset the service readout on the dash when you hit the wrench button, so I figured you all could tell me or I would find it in the manual.

Looking over the engine, I don't see any leaks or tell tale signs of trouble.

Only thing is I can hear what sounds like a small ticking (low # fuel injectors, or fan hitting the shroud kinda sound) that you can hear pretty well when outside the car and inside while driving (it is faint inside the car and turning the radio on volume 4 will drown it out) One of my friends from another forum would have said to just keep the music loud, but I want to be sure there isn't anything wrong or going wrong.

Also when I first touch the clutch (I mean barely push on it with my foot) it feels like the pedal itself kinda moves then it stiff like it should.

Any pointers, recall info (I couldn't find any online), or anything else would be much appreciated.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Site Moderator

The 2.0T engine FSI fuel injectors have a ticking sound to them - they kinda sound like a diesel - this could be what you are hearing, but you should not hear it while inside the car. The very last couple of seconds in this video would be a 2.0T FSI at idle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg1lh...layer_embedded

Like most will suggest, anytime buying a use B7 A4, check the cam follower and replace if necessary. It is a quick and easy DIY. If the cam follower wears through and the lobe gets worn you are going to be out a lot of $.

Last edited by brrman; 06-24-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM
oki
1st Gear

Originally Posted by brrman
The 2.0T engine FSI fuel injectors have a ticking sound to them - they kinda sound like a diesel - this could be what you are hearing, but you should not hear it while inside the car.

Like most will suggest, anytime buying a use B7 A4, check the cam follower and replace if necessary. It is a quick and easy DIY. If the cam follower wears through and the lobe gets worn you are going to be out a lot of $.
Yea you could say it sounds "like a diesal". With my other vehicle I have gone from 42# to 60# injectors and know what you mean by FI ticking.

What really caught me off gaurd was being able to hear it inside the car.

I will search out a how-to for the cam follower to see what I can do. Glad it is a quick and easy DIY, not that I am concerned about doing the work, I have pulled and put in new motors in other vehicles, but always nice to hear that something is quick n easy!!!

At work right now, so I can view the video but will when I get out of here.

Thanks

Last edited by oki; 06-24-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

ticking means its good... cam follower......... coil packs recall..............timming belt.......100k. at the latest

Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

The noise is normal. My 06 sounds a little like a diesel too. My clutch also does the exact same thing.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
oki
1st Gear

Originally Posted by diggs
ticking means its good... cam follower......... coil packs recall..............timming belt.......100k. at the latest
Yea...I figured that it was good, but always good to ask. I checked online for any info about any recall on this year/model and couldn't find any.

Was there a coil pack recall?

So...Cam Follower, Coil Packs, and Timing Belt at 100K at the latest huh. I will probably look into all that sooner just to be sure and safe.

Originally Posted by B7Night
The noise is normal. My 06 sounds a little like a diesel too. My clutch also does the exact same thing.
Good to know...and yea, that is exactly a great way to describe it for the sound of the car at idle and low speed in 1st & 2nd gear.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM

how much r u payin for it

Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Banned

audi's rule. the cam follower thing is bs (see my thread). just maintain her and she'll be good to you. use good oil...mobil 1 0w-40 or better and change it every 5000 miles.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
oki
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RedA4RedCalipers
how much r u payin for it
Been sitting on the lot for 3+ months...dealer having trouble selling the 6 speed. We got the sticker down to 16500 before we started negotiated about trade in values for what I brought it in....I walked away with a steal!!!

Originally Posted by esandes
audi's rule. the cam follower thing is bs (see my thread). just maintain her and she'll be good to you. use good oil...mobil 1 0w-40 or better and change it every 5000 miles.
Yea...got a buddy who is a Audi certified tech who said the same thing...plus anything happens, I can just take it to him...also I change my oil every 3000 no matter what anyways....in this car...Mobil 1 0w 40

Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine sounds like a diesel

Hi everyone I have an A4 B7 2006 that I just bought and I was also wondering what is that noise that sounds like a diesel engine. Now I am more relaxed after reading these postings. However, I wanna know more about the cam follower and how to replace that I will really appreciate any sugestion.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 2006 Audi Quatro A4 2.0T ?'s