B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2.0T FSI & 2.0T FSIe bad PCV how many?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0T FSI & 2.0T FSIe bad PCV how many?

I have seen this quite often in Audi threads, I was just wondering how many of you have had bad PCV valves? Symptoms; loss of performance, fuel economy and oil around the filler cap.

I am just curious how many this has happened to.
If this has happened to you please list year of A4 (or A3,A6,TT etc.), miles/kilometers which PCV valve version (if known) and symptoms. Also if any other engine problems arose from this.

Mine went bad at 25tmls, (PCV version E) oil around filler cap, loss of performance and fuel economy went down. The German Audi mechanic said he had not seen this happen to German Spec'd A4's but had another American A4 in with the same problem. He had also seen two go bad on German A6's with the 2.0T-FSIe 170hp version of this motor. I am just wondering how many revisions Audi needs to get this solved, I believe they are now up to PCV version K!

Having it replaced under warranty at a German Audi dealer part 30.00 Euro $45.00, labor 60.00 Euros, $80.00.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

On my third PCV "E" model. original PCV was good for 25-30K. Engine started to run poorly and oil consumption increase to more than a liter per thousand miles. Under warranty the dealer changed the PCV and a week later they then changed the piston rings. I don't know if extended driving with the bad PCV caused the rings to need replacing, but they were changed. Warranty PCV went bad right a 65K miles and I changed it myself. Local dealer stocks a least 10 units all the time, according to parts desk guys, so this must be a very common part to change. Also PCV is not covered by Audi's "emissions warranty" either. $48 plus tax and it took about 10 minutes to change. Service department wanted $148 to diagnose if PCV was bad plus installation and part. Good money for a 10 minute repair by a non certified audi mechanic. Easy to diagnose once off the engine. You could blowthrough the old one and not the new one. All are the "E" model as well.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response. How long (miles) did you drive with the bad PCV? I did not even notice mine was bad until I went to check the oil and saw oil around the filler cap.
I had read that when your PCV goes totaly bad the idle goes to crap, fuel economy goes down, and performance drops. I guess mine was partially stuck (defective) as the first Audi dealer I went to could not find anything after testing the motor. The 2nd Audi dealer saw the oil and called Audi (Ingolstadt) they said it was the PCV (Rev E). I hope they replace mine with the updated K+ version and that takes care of it (for good).

Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

my gas mileage dropped and learned about the pcv problem here. dealership replaced it for free o/a 20k. i wonder if the replacement is going bad? luckily i watched the mechanic do it so if i have to replace it i can save a few bucks. did not know about seal and gas cap...appreciate it!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear

http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/pr...at=1113&page=1

You will never have a PCV problem again with this product. Genious design with no failure chance. Good preventitive measure or just a fix.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

I don't know how long it was but I estimate about 5-7K

Old 10-18-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the information 2WD. I have looked at aftermarket solutions (and upgrades) for my car, but unfortunately the German Audi folks here have trouble putting parts on a car that are not 100% Audi. Also they will usually not mess with a U.S. spec'd Audi as it has a different ECU(?) than German/Euro ones. I have checked some German tuners and once they know it is a U.S. spec A4 they back away. I was told the only aftermarket or chip tuning I can do is in the US. Heck they cannot even flash my car with the latest software update!

Tims, thanks for the miles, I think I drove about 2500 on mine. But then again I did not have any excessive oil being used or symptoms described in other posts I read on this PCV problem.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

Mine broke twice. Each time same effect: 1) Very loud and irritating sound like someone is constantly blowing a whistle 2) Engine shivers like a little new born puppy when idle. After repairs, fuel economy still the same however i noticed that the min oil light comes on much faster after an oil change. Dealership looking into this issue atm.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by aetius
Thanks for the information 2WD. I have looked at aftermarket solutions (and upgrades) for my car, but unfortunately the German Audi folks here have trouble putting parts on a car that are not 100% Audi. Also they will usually not mess with a U.S. spec'd Audi as it has a different ECU(?) than German/Euro ones. I have checked some German tuners and once they know it is a U.S. spec A4 they back away. I was told the only aftermarket or chip tuning I can do is in the US. Heck they cannot even flash my car with the latest software update!

Tims, thanks for the miles, I think I drove about 2500 on mine. But then again I did not have any excessive oil being used or symptoms described in other posts I read on this PCV problem.
You will be happy with this fix. I have never heard of a failure with it. All (most anyway)the GTI guys run this fix.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 AM
1st Gear

A US and German audi? What the heck??? i can only imagine the difference is software? comments? i cant wait till the vw/audi production begins in chattanooga TN...hopefully we will get more poop from what the motor engineers say about this and that. OBTW and AUDI automotive engineers out there...bitte melde Dich :-)