B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2.0T Engine problems.... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0T Engine problems.... HELP!!!

I have a 2006 B7 2.0T that just recently started making engine noise. I lent the car to a friend for the day and after a 5 hour road trip i get it back and automatically heard a different clicking/ knocking noise. I know i need the belt tensioner arm which added some clicking but this is completely different. This noise is on the top side of the motor and can be heard from front to rear. I have mechanical knowledge, but this is beyond what ive heard before. I know its not a lifter clicking which only leads me to 3 things. 1) the motor somehow spun a bearing (the low oil light came on a while back and it was only driven like that for maybe 5 miles and parked until i got more oil into it, and later an oil change. And it couldnt be high RPM's because the automatic transmission will shift, even when in tiptronic). 2) The way the noise reacts to RPM changes shows a good possiblity of rod knock, but not quite sure why that would be heard throughout the entire motor. or 3) a Audi performance shop said there was a recall for the cams in the 2006-07 A4's, which only would mean if mine didnt get the new cam, the lobe on the end that drives the high flo fuel pump on the motor could have worn and now has extensive play inbetween the cam and the pump. There seems to be no power loss and when i select check on my dash all fluid levels and pressure levels check out "OK". Its not an extremely loud noise but can be heard in the car at idle up to 1500 RPM roughly. If you have had this problem before, or have ideas on what it could be PLEASE reply or send me a PM. Also if anyone knows of any websites that i can order a rebuild kit from, please share. Either way the motor will be broken down in Dec when i can get home to Phx, AZ on leave since im in the military stationed in Ca. and have little resources here. Thanks, Jake