B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Xenon flickering (right/left dipped headlight)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Default Xenon flickering (right/left dipped headlight)

Okay...I have had this problem with my xenons flickering for sometime now, and it keeps getting worse. It started back in August of last year and kept getting worse and worse. I live about 60 miles from the nearest dealership. It started shutting off a light sometimes saying "Right or Left Dipped Headlight" depending on which one shut off...sometimes they would jump right back on...sometimes not. I finally brought my car into the dealership back in December to get the problem fixed (car was under CPO warranty). Got back to Auburn (where I'm from) and they didn't "fix" anything. All they did was replace the headlight switch! I called and complained about it, and since I'm a full-time college student and Officer Training cadet, I have not had the time to go back until now. I get a call from the dealer the other day saying "Were sorry, but your warranty ran out in December." I was furious. I told them I brought it in back in December, and they didn't fix the problem that should've been fixed when it WAS under warranty. Anywho...I'm wondering what the hell the problem is...and will it be covered? Is it the actual headlights? Ballasts? Wiring Harness? What??!! I am also wondering if anyone else has heard of this problem or have had it, what was done, and if there is any kind of recall or anything of that nature to fix this problem with no charge. Thanks.

JackaL

2002 A4 1.8T Quattro
Carbonio Intake
APR Stage 1
No Kitty-Cat

Old 03-16-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Xenon flickering (right/left dipped headlight)

Are you running aftermarket bulbs or anything of that nature, if so I would check those components. It could be as simple as the bulb going out since it is a 5 year old car after all. Mine never flickered but the bulbs got a bit dim thats when I changed them. Also could be the ballast though, headlights are a sketchy thing sometimes.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

I'd start with the bulbs. My '03 A4 had the same problem. It was only one side that was dropping out, so I was able to swap components around to determine what was at fault. Since both of yours are dropping out you can't do that, but I'd still bet that is what the problem is.

This is an easy fix and something you can do yourself. Plan on spending about $200 for new bulbs. The factory ones are 4300ËšK, so if you want something different now is the time to change! I opted for 6500ËšK but if I had to do it again I'd stick with the stock bulbs.

Good luck,

Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Ohh HIDs they are amazing yet such a pain, well lets start with are they stock, if they are then the problem can be one of two things, the ballast or the igniter. Now all you have to do is check the AMP that it collects at the start up of the light... Test after the ballast and before it, then check before the igniter. If all numbers match then the problem lies at your power source, meaning your altenator is going bad. HIDs arnt hard to work with they just suck because there are so many diffrent things to look at! I would start with a good ole trusty multi meter! If you need more help with this PM me i would be more than happy to help out but there is no sense in buying new bulbs if that isnt the problem, test once, test twice then buy! This happend with my 04 GTO and my friends 04 G35! If its after market its probably in the ballest, if you turn them off and then back on can you get them to ignite?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

I used to have the same problem with my headlights before and it also said dipped headlights. It all started when i was doing my clear corner mods, i had to take off all the covers and bulbs out. When I finished with the mods, I washed the car and after I finished I decided to take it for a drive. I noticed the warning light with the dipped lights on the right hand side.. I took a look inside and noticed the covers were loose. I saw water was inside and the wires and bulbs were wet. I was so frustrated I thought I had to replace the whole bulb and ballast set-up but I ended up trying to drying it with a hair dryer. After drying it, I put it back in... A miracle had happened because it worked like it was new... But... that was my problem, hopefully yours had moisture in there or something.. You might want to check your wires, it could be loose or water mightve came in contact with it.. good luck with it.