B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

worried

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 AM
1st Gear
Default worried

hi guys iam am new to this site. i just bought an audi A4 2004 last week and i am a little worried that i got myself into a car that i cant maintain. everyone tells me that audi's are not that good cars, they always have problems and bla bla bla..... so i wanted to know if i am just over reacting or what. can anyone out there tell me the truth about these cars. are they really that expisive to keep up?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: worried

my experience with my audi has been nothing but positive. They are great cars but as with all cars they have to be maintained. If you stick with scheduled maintenance and do some of it yourself, there are plenty of DIY's pages, then you won't have catastrophic problems like you hear about. It is when you bring it to the dealer to be fixed is where you hear about people spending the big bucks. Just the other day i replaced my brake pads and rotors for $150 total with the help of the forums and that probably wouldn't cover the cost of the labor of doing it at the dealership. So to sum it up, keep it maintained and they will go forever.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
SoCal Crew Member

^word Dont let those jealous cheapskates get you down. Audi's are designed way better than most cars and of course they are imports which means the recommended sevicing is expensive and not always completely neccessary so just treat how it deserves to be treated. Like an Audi If you stick to regular consistent maintenence you will have yourself an amazing machine!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Don't sweat it bro. I was the same way about my '02 A4 when I bought it back in October. But it is not the case ... just make sure you do the normal maintenance and always give it some TLC and you'll be fine. www.audidiy.com is a great site for do-it-yourself tips.

And always post questions out here on AF. The guys and girls here are always helpful and don't feed you a lot of junk. They tell it like it is.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

yeah...honestly its not that hard. until you get to higher mileage you just need to change fluids regularly and other preventative maintenence. when you get up to 90-100k miles, you will need to change the timing belt which gets expensive....but still nothing that should deter you from owning your amazing machine!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 AM
SoCal Crew Member

One of the most common reasons I see Audi's starting to have problems is because people buy them and put 87 gas in the car and don't use synthetic oil.....Initially the price of the products you put in may cost more but they will make a difference in the long run. Also I know tons of people who go 5-10 thousand miles on other cars without an oil change and it runs fine...don't do that with your audi....PLEASE!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

Dont worry, there is no huge issues unless you got reallllllllllly bvad luck... Audi's are great cars I had a 97 A4 with over 240000 miles on it and the car ran great and sold for a good price at that high milage just invest into better oil and gas and any other things that your car might need and you will be more than happy! And whoever told you that audi's are not very good cars tell them to stick with their GM product because you dont want those kind of people anywhere near your car!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

I've had a lot of cars and the audi's I've owned are by far better screwed together than most, look at a ford at 100k miles and then compare it to an audi or bmw, there is not comparison!! Value wise and bodywork wise and also mechanically there just better.
There was a recent piece in the press that audi stated that there engines were good to at least 300k and if correctly serviced were just keep going. My neighbour has a 1991 quattro which has just gone over the 250k mark- still faultless.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

wow thanks guys. i feel alot better now. its funny today someone told me that a 20 year old shouldent be driving a audi and i just smiled and said "well thats how i do it" ha ha thanks alot again guys

Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Crystal

One of the most common reasons I see Audi's starting to have problems is because people buy them and put 87 gas in the car and don't use synthetic oil.....Initially the price of the products you put in may cost more but they will make a difference in the long run. Also I know tons of people who go 5-10 thousand miles on other cars without an oil change and it runs fine...don't do that with your audi....PLEASE!
I can't stress enough how important it is what Crystal is saying here ...
You may be able to get away with 87 gas and regular oil in a Stang, Camaro or your grandma's Buick ... but don't skimp on the products with the Audi. While Audi's demand some high maintenance items, they return the favor in a smooth ride and superior handling.

Quick Reply: worried