B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

why do you own an audi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 AM

hmm makes me feel better that im not the only CVT owner around here. im at 53K miles hope it lasts me a while

Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Default cvt

i have actually seen a b6 audi with a cvt that had 200,000 miles and it was the original transmission. the fluid was changed every 35,000 miles....

Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 AM

uhh wow. what are some things i can do to take care of my cvt the best way possible?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear

Like anything, a little research goes a long way. Joining this forum after buying a car is a little late for warnings like "stay away from CVT models". I bought the same A4 as boosthungry with 69k miles (now at 81k) and it has been very reliable. I test drove quite a few A4s before buying. I knew it needed brakes and will need a TB change soon, but factored that into the offer. The only surprise is the catalytic converters failed, but I was lucky to catch it before 80k and they were replaced under warranty.

I also have the A6 below which I bought from a private party with 37k miles and it now has 168k. In five years I replaced the alternator, clutch and flywheel, and the front CV boots. The headlight washers don't work and it reports temperature in C rather than F, but everything else is fine. Did the TB, on the third set of tires, and do regular oil changes and other maintenance. It still has the original suspension, battery, and exhaust (which has been patched a couple times). So I cannot complain about reliability.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:59 PM
4th Gear

dont u push the + button to change the temp from c to f. I know u hold a certian button to fix it. Ill look into it.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

Push the recirculate air and the + button for the driver's side temperature changes C to F. Problem is that F is the default and the last few months, when I start the car, it is set to C. I change it back to F but the next time I start the car, it's back to C. I think the computer is getting senile. I can do the recalculation in my head so it's no big deal, just a little annoying. But overall the A6 has been very reliable.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by purpleaudigirl
lol yes very true.... better then japanese engineering
Really? Do any of you people even know why audi wasn't a major player in the 80's? Read this little joy of information. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...ation-debacle/
It was a load of crap, and if i ever saw Dan Rather from 60 minutes i would kick him square in the ***** for duping audi like that. I have never been a fan of Toyota's, but there is nothing wrong with their cars, the stupid moron behind the wheel is the problem. Hell we have known about floor mats sticking gas pedals since the early 90's when those big *** rubber mats came out. I just get flustered when i read crap like this post knowing the author has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Oh, and BTW, Mercedes and BMW had the exact same problem with their pedal designs, but they paid off the media to keep thier mouth shut to avoid the burn audi was getting.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 AM

^^ I remember when Car and Driver published the first actual scientific analysis of Audi sudden acceleration...it was a terrific piece of journalism that helped clear Audi of being at fault. Tidbit of trivia...Audi sudden acceleration in the 80's is why we have to step on the brake pedal in an automatic car to shift out of park today.

The Toyota issue IS a problem with the cars. I agree 100% that we have a serious driver competence problem thats compounding this issue, but this driver problem is only being magnified because of a serious problem in the Toyotas...I suspect its a couple lines of code in the software thats going WOT under yet-to-be-determined circumstances...its not a floormat problem, its not a gas pedal or sensor problem.

While we're all familiar with the famous instances where people have been on the phone while their Toyotas run out of control (and frustrated that these people can dial a cell phone and talk on it but can't pop the car into neutral), there are also alot of cases where perfectly competent drivers have experienced this WOT problem and been able to control their car properly...one instance when a car did it (saw it on ABCNews aout amonth ago or so), the guy took it to his dealer WHILE it was happeneing, left it running and the techs came out and examined with the motor redlined and the car in park...the floormats were in the trunk and the gas pedal was in the idle position.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

lol i used to work for toyota, before all this came out in like 06-07 and prius' had the problem it just was not wide spread yet, and yes toyota drivers not all but alot of them are incompetant. sp* ..... anyway as far as the 80's and audis i knew there were problems but was not old enough to know anything about them so thanks for the info... but thats y i bought a 93 because i was told in the early 90s there were less problems. and the floor mats well i do believe thats y theres a little orange tab on the floor to hold them in place.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 AM
1st Gear
Default to **** off my mom and dad.

to **** off my mom and dad