B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Where to take my car for Rotor Warping!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Where to take my car for Rotor Warping!

My brakes are still in good condition, and my passenger front side keeps squealing when im coming to a stop! And i realized that my rotor is really rusty and has lines all over it. I was wondering is there a place you can take it so they can sand that stuff off or whatever they can do to stop that noise?

And one more question!

i suck at knowing what to do with my car lol.

whats another thing called when you need to do something to your tires, not wheel alignment, i know thats for when you get brand new wheels, but like they do something with the wheels cause i have a humming noise after im driving more than 30 mph. Its not my wheel bearing.

thanks so much for understanding me lmao.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

A little surface rust on the rotors is no big deal - that comes off the first time you hit the brakes, and really shouldn't cause any noise or problems. If it's heavily rusted all over, it may well be that it's just old enough and has seen enough wear that it's time to change it out (which would mean at least changing both fronts, and probably the pads while you're at it, as you don't want uneven braking force left to right). Warping, if that's what it is, would be something you'd notice in terms of how the car brakes and/or a pulsing in the pedal when braking.

If you could post a picture to go along with your description, people here might be able to give more helpful, less speculative responses.

Regarding your humming noise, I don't really have any useful input; hopefully someone else does. On some level, if you just take the car to a good Audi mechanic, they'd probably be able to diagnose both problems for you - it doesn't sound as though you're into DIY anyway...

Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

The brakes are good, there like new.
For problem #1:
The brakes arent the problem, idk what it is with the screeching. whenever im coming to a stop it screeches, and i can hear like the rotor spinning.

Problem #2:

Whenever im driving 30 pmh or more, the noise inside my car appears. Its a humming noise, almost like when you have a flat, but my wheels are fine. People have told me its the wheel bearing, but when i got it checked out at firestone they said it wasnt.

Well im going to make a video of each problem and see if you genius people can help me out.

Thanks so much.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear

The problem with the squealing when you come to a stop could be the metal outside of the brake pad rubbing against the metal of the brake caliper. This is a metal to metal rubbing, which can cause the squeal. The way to cure this is to apply some brake pad anti-squeal compound to the outside of each brake pad(not the side pressing against the rotor!)

This is a very easy DIY project, but if you're not into DIY then any competent mechanic shop should be able to do this for you.

The noise from the tires above 30 mph could be a few different things, like a tire out of round, out of balance, not enough air pressure, etc. Or, it could be the wheel bearing or a tie rod end. I wouldn't trust Firestone to save my soul. I would take your car to the local Audi dealer or a reputable local independent Audi mechanic.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Thanks so much, i sprayed autozone brake cleaner and after driving it today i realized the noise wasn't appearing as much as before! Now i can actually come to a stop and not embarrass the **** out of my self lol.

And the Wheel problem i was told that my wheel bearing and tie rod are in good conditions, I think ill do a tire rotation and see if anything happens. When i do a tire rotation, do i need to take it into the shop for anything?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by James94
Thanks so much, i sprayed autozone brake cleaner and after driving it today i realized the noise wasn't appearing as much as before! Now i can actually come to a stop and not embarrass the **** out of my self lol.

And the Wheel problem i was told that my wheel bearing and tie rod are in good conditions, I think ill do a tire rotation and see if anything happens. When i do a tire rotation, do i need to take it into the shop for anything?
Congrats on the brake cleaner, but I'll bet that squeal comes back. The real solution is to get that anti-squeal compound on the back of the brake pads.

I would take the car into a reputable tire shop and have the tires balanced. It may be as simple as one tire being out of balance.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

lol your totally right. The first day it worked, then the second day it was squeaking like no other. Idk should i buy the stuff and ask the guys at the shop to put it on it, or just let them know that it needs the anti squeal compound?

And i was thinking the same thing with the wheels.

i think im going to just get a tire rotation and then ask them for a tire balance, What do you think?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

The guys at the shop will have the anti-squeal grease already if they do brake jobs. Just bring it in to them.

Yes, tire rotation and balance. If that doesn't fix the noise, then you can keep trouble-shooting.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Alright thanks so much man. I really needed your help. Thanks <3