B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

When is it time for suspension work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default When is it time for suspension work?

Hello everyone I have a question and would really appreciate some help on this one. I'm a very proud owner of an 03 B6 1.8T Quattro 5spd with 120km so what is that about 70k miles. I don't think it has sport suspension just the stock stuff, which is part 2 of my question.

First off, how do I know when it's time to fix something on the suspension? I have a sneaking suspision that there is something not quite right about the front, when I go over some nastier bumps I hear almost like an excessive knocking up front. It's very hard to describe because it's not soemthing where you would hear it and know ya something is wrong, it just feels and sounds like something might be loose. I'm wondering if I should maybe redo my bushings up front at least. I feel a bit disconnected from the road and that rattle like feeling comes through the wheel, it just doesnt feel as sharp as I think it should. However I have always heard that the older Audi models always felt disconnected to a degree. What I'm asking for is just any advice on the front suspension anyone might have.

Part 2 of my question is would Bilstein SP work with stock sport springs? I'm not a nut and I don't have any need for coilovers, and I don't want to drop it 1.5", I just want like 3/4" lower with still a nice comfy smooth ride as that is one of this beauties greatest assets.

Oh I might as well ask, what if any advice is there for buying a B5 S4? I don't want a dead one but something I can rebuild and to be perfectly honest I just really want that 2.7TT

Thanks peeps