B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Transmission problem (PRNDS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shamrock
Near any independant auto repair shop can do this for you. Find the right one and they may not even charge for the scan. Post your location...if you're close enough, a member here may even do the scan (if you're near me, I'll do it). Judging from the nature of your questions, I'm guessing you probably won't be doing the repair yourself...Audi's are not the most friendly car to work on...many professional mechanics shy away from them. If thats the case then find a good VW/Audi indie shop (ask around) and let them take a look with the idea that they will probably be doing the repair work. Get the car scanned and post the results here. With luck it's a minor issue that you can do yourself. Some bad luck and things can get serious...and pricey.
i got it scanned but nothing showed up and the shifter is kinda loose, i dont have to press the button on top left to move the shifter, it moves without pressing that button

Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Trans problem

Hey just got stuck in snow, hit the gas like up to 5k rpms and the car doesnt drive forward normaly, feels like its staring of 3 gear. Also Check Engine came on and ALL the gears are selected PRNDS. But it drives in R fine. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ssingh
i got it scanned but nothing showed up and the shifter is kinda loose, i dont have to press the button on top left to move the shifter, it moves without pressing that button
Will it go into park or reverse without pushing the button? Do you have a CEL on (check engine light)? You posted earlier that your gear indicator was lit up in red which indicates that the car is well aware of the fault which would have also triggered the CEL. If you have a CEL and your scan showed nothing...my gut reaction would be to question the scanning equipment or the scan operator.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pechorna
Hey just got stuck in snow, hit the gas like up to 5k rpms and the car doesnt drive forward normaly, feels like its staring of 3 gear. Also Check Engine came on and ALL the gears are selected PRNDS. But it drives in R fine. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Your car is in limp mode. Could be several different things...get it scanned.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

Will it go into park or reverse without pushing the button? Do you have a CEL on (check engine light)? You posted earlier that your gear indicator was lit up in red which indicates that the car is well aware of the fault which would have also triggered the CEL. If you have a CEL and your scan showed nothing...my gut reaction would be to question the scanning equipment or the scan operator.
No there is no indicator on dashboard except for ESP which doesn't go off and yea it goes in to Park and Reverse with pressing the button

Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Sorry. Without a known fault, it becomes a matter of hit or miss guess work. Good luck with it.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Sorry. Without a known fault, it becomes a matter of hit or miss guess work. Good luck with it.
Hi there, So i got my car scanned again today from different shop and a fault finally showed up with this info "18152 Tiptronic Recognition Switch (F189) Short to Ground P1744 Mechanical Function", AND the mechanic drove my car for a while and found out that in D (Drive) mode, the gears changes manually when shift up to N (Neutral), and down shift wen hitting the S (Sports) mode, STRANGE, So as a result the car drives manually (Triptronic) in D (Drive) mode while nothing happens in Tiptronic mode lol crazy.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Hi there, So i got my car scanned again today from different shop and a fault finally

Is that too big of a problem? how much to fix it? and where did you get it scanned at?

I kind of have the same issue. My car won't move in D but works in manual Triptonic mode.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Hey having similar problems with my A4's transmission let me know what yours turned out to be, thanks

Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

its a problem the tiptronic switch, gotta replace it, or the circuit board