B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Transmission problem (PRNDS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission problem (PRNDS)

The car only drives good with Sport (S) mode, it doesnt pickup or release gears in Drive(D) mode or in Manual Tiptronic mode
Any suggestions please?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

When i put the ShiftKnob into Drive(D) mode, it shows manual gears 1,2,3,4,5 on the dashboard instead of (D)

Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Everything is guess work until you have the car scanned. There's several things that could be causing the problem...do you want to go to the time and expense of troubleshooting them all when a simple scan will pin point the problem?

Last edited by shamrock; 02-04-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shamrock
Everything is guess work until you have the car scanned. There's several things that could be causing the problem...do you want to go to the time and expense of troubleshooting them all when a simply scan will pin point the problem?

But how do you get the it scanned???

Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
4th Gear

go to autozone. They scan for free also advance will scan for free also.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
go to autozone. They scan for free also advance will scan for free also.

Thank you bro

Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Site Moderator

autozone can't scan the transmission, you need to get a vag com www.ross-tech.com and buy the cable. Then you can interrogate almost ALL the modules on the car.

If i had to guess, i would think the magnets under your shifter have fallen out messing with the shiting, of course a quick scan can verify that.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
autozone can't scan the transmission, you need to get a vag com www.ross-tech.com and buy the cable. Then you can interrogate almost ALL the modules on the car.

If i had to guess, i would think the magnets under your shifter have fallen out messing with the shiting, of course a quick scan can verify that.
Oh okay, but how can i get that scanned and from where?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ssingh
Oh okay, but how can i get that scanned and from where?
Near any independant auto repair shop can do this for you. Find the right one and they may not even charge for the scan. Post your location...if you're close enough, a member here may even do the scan (if you're near me, I'll do it). Judging from the nature of your questions, I'm guessing you probably won't be doing the repair yourself...Audi's are not the most friendly car to work on...many professional mechanics shy away from them. If thats the case then find a good VW/Audi indie shop (ask around) and let them take a look with the idea that they will probably be doing the repair work. Get the car scanned and post the results here. With luck it's a minor issue that you can do yourself. Some bad luck and things can get serious...and pricey.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shamrock
Near any independant auto repair shop can do this for you. Find the right one and they may not even charge for the scan. Post your location...if you're close enough, a member here may even do the scan (if you're near me, I'll do it). Judging from the nature of your questions, I'm guessing you probably won't be doing the repair yourself...Audi's are not the most friendly car to work on...many professional mechanics shy away from them. If thats the case then find a good VW/Audi indie shop (ask around) and let them take a look with the idea that they will probably be doing the repair work. Get the car scanned and post the results here. With luck it's a minor issue that you can do yourself. Some bad luck and things can get serious...and pricey.
Oh alright so ill get it scanned today and then ill let u guys know any further issues

Quick Reply: Transmission problem (PRNDS)