B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Time for new tires - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dandefronzo@gmail.com
Pirelli P zero's are the best way to go with any performance car. Do not be cheap and buy a lower line of Pirelli. And in the long run seperate winter and summer tires and rims saves a LOT OF $
I have the stock 16" wheels, which means that there are no P Zeros that will fit them. (The only 16" P Zeros are 205 width, rather than the 215 needed.) Given that, your idea, while interesting, is not feasible at this time, as an extra set of wheels is definitely not in the budget. I'm also not really sure that I consider a completely stock base model A4 1.8T to be a "performance car." It'd have to gain significant power and/or lose some weight before I'd think of it that way.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by olstyn
I'm also not really sure that I consider a completely stock base model A4 1.8T to be a "performance car." It'd have to gain significant power and/or lose some weight before I'd think of it that way.
APR chip, just saying

Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

I've had contis on other cars and they are not the answer, they lasted maybe 20k. I've also had 2 of them blow out. I just put new wheels on the Audi, I got Toyo Tourevos for 600 bucks installed out the door. I live in WA so I understand your concern for a solid winter tire as we get plenty of snow and ice here. I can't afford studded snows ATM. maybe next year.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
APR chip, just saying
Just as soon as I have $1200 or so that I can just "blow" on something that's a want rather than a need, I'd love to do Stage 1+, injectors, and either the APR or some other upgraded DV. An extra 60 or so HP would really wake the car up, that's for sure. That's going to have to wait a while, though.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom
I've had contis on other cars and they are not the answer, they lasted maybe 20k. I've also had 2 of them blow out. I just put new wheels on the Audi, I got Toyo Tourevos for 600 bucks installed out the door. I live in WA so I understand your concern for a solid winter tire as we get plenty of snow and ice here. I can't afford studded snows ATM. maybe next year.
Interesting that they didn't last for you, given that they have a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty. Did you have any indication as to why? Are you sure it was the tires and not a messed up alignment or some other factor?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Interesting that they didn't last for you, given that they have a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty. Did you have any indication as to why? Are you sure it was the tires and not a messed up alignment or some other factor?
The sidewall blew out on both rear tires and just shredded them @ separate times. Air pressure was fine and the car wasn't over loaded. may have just been a bad batch :dunno: That's just my experience with them. Continental did buy them back from me for 60% of the purchase price for "research" I'm assuming that this has happened to more people than just me. They do have good customer service as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

Yikes, that's kind of scary about the way they failed. Hopefully it didn't result in any injuries to you or your car. Man, googling "continental tire failure" gets some scary results - lots of complaints as recently as this month. I didn't see anything specifically relating to the model I was considering purchasing, but even so, I'm a bit put off by what I found there and what you've said.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Just as soon as I have $1200 or so that I can just "blow" on something that's a want rather than a need, I'd love to do Stage 1+, injectors, and either the APR or some other upgraded DV. An extra 60 or so HP would really wake the car up, that's for sure. That's going to have to wait a while, though.
not to derail thread, but keep your eye out, I think you can get APR for half that, they were running a special not too long ago for a couple extra programs for free...I would estimate it to give you maybe +40hp.

Alright good looking out then, I'm let you all get back to tires.

I am currently running some Michelin...treadwear seems to be improved over the Dunlops I replaced, but I got a bulge in one of the sidewall, and I'm 90% certain it was not due to road hazard.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

I have had real good luck with the Pirelli P6 as a winter tire. I'm on set #3 and got 50k out of the second set. They are outstanding in snow and ice. I do run Continentals in the summer, so I cannot comment on how they work in warmer weather although I did leave them on all last summer just to wear them out thoroughly before winter replacement. Never a problem with bad wear or blow-outs. Did have that problem with a set of Coopers, but Discount replaced them with the Conti's and they've been great. Only change I would make now is going for a 10mm wider tire to protect the rim better.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
1st Gear
Default tire recommendation

You can't go wrong with Michelins. Ran them on our 1987 BMW 325 after buying it with Potenzas which the previous owner took off his gymkana sp? Porche. (I don't remember what model tire, but they were the most phenomenal for maximum g but unforgiving dry cornering performance, but like a steamroller on an ice rink when it was wet.)
Our first Audi was a used 1996 A4 which had a lot of road noise until replacing whatever with Michelin m+s. Those worked great in dry, wet and snow conditions on that little 2wd car. Our current 2002 A4 Quattro has Tourevo LS "luxury touring" tires which are directional. I only have about 5000 miles experience (no snow experience) but am very pleased. I'd never heard of Tourevo before. Based on my Michelin experience, you might try them. BTW I am philosophically against studded tires, but they are a popular choice for Washington state drivers who are great at texting but notso at driving. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires - recommendations?