B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Suggestions on clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Suggestions on clutch replacement

Hi,
I am planning to have a new clutch installed on my 2003 AUDI A4 1.8T Quattro. It has 52000 miles. I wonder if that is usual to lose the clutch at 52K mileage. I am sure it was because of my friend’s bad driving because I did not had any issue before I left it with him.
Anyway, I can feel that while driving on 4th and 5th gears when trying to accelerate or give more gas the RPM goes high but not getting the acceleration. Is that screw up my engine if I continue driving for another 1000miles coz I have to get to my repair shop which is in Southern California and I have moved temporarily to Northern CA.
Here are few things I need your suggestions
1. Do I need to go for an OEM clutch or can I go with South bend kit? Coz my repair guy said he would only do OEM which is Sachs I believe and he quoted $1300 for clutch and if flywheel has to be changed then 700$ more.
2. If I go with an OEM is it good to do that with a dealer or can do it with my repair shop?
3. Where can I check the prices for OEM clutch?
For Southbend kits looks like I can get a good deal with Mike@dth. How do I know what flywheel is on Audi and what clutch should I choose if I go for Southbend. Also, if my flywheel is worn out then what combination (Clutch & flywheel) will work out the best for me? Looks like Mike has stage3 kit available not stage2.
4. If I choose Southbend kit is it going to save me a lot? what would it cost apprx for a stage3 clutch incl labor?
Your suggestions in this regard are highly appreciated. I got to make a decision get it done before it is completely screwed up.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Unless your friend beat the hell out of it, chances are the clutch was already on its way out. Mine is going (engaging near the top of the pedal) and I'm at 81k miles.

No, you won't screw up your engine if the clutch slips under load in 5th. Of course, you're not going anywhere either so just let up on the gas and drive easy or else risk beign stranded somewhere because the car won't go into gear.

You can go with a SB clutch and I would recommend doing so. If you buy a clutch from SB, you can send in your flywheel to be resurfaced for FREE. However, it takes a few days adn you'll be down during that whole time. You can always buy a new one and try selling your resurfaced flywheel for $100 or so to regain some $. If your repair guy won't do anything but OEM, get a new repair guy. Don't go dealer, you'll pay through the nose and overpay for a clutch that's not as "good" as the SB.

Your flywheel is a Luk dual mass. Stick with that, don't get a lightweight flywheel unless you're hardcore.

I'm going stage 4 (SS OFE) to keep it organic for daily driving and compatible with big turbo should I go that way in the future. If you have no big turbo plans, consider any of the HD clutches (compare stage 2 and stage 3).

Labor for doing a clutch isn't going to be cheap. Buy the clutch directly from SB or Mike, then try to google for a Luk dual mass flywheel or resurface your own to reuse. After that, labor will be a few hours.

If you're in NJ, let me know. There's a guy that does these, provided you have the parts.

Last edited by wolfdog; 02-09-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Suggestions on clutch replacement

Thank you so much for your suggestion!!
I will check with my repair guy one more time to see if he installs SB for me otherwise, will have to find a repair shop install SB. Btw, I am in San Jose, CA please let me know if you are aware of any reliable repair shops for AUDI. I don’t want to mess my vehicle as it has no warranty on it.
I will probably go with Stage 3 however, has to find out if my flywheel is still ok. Can you please let me know if I still continue driving for another 1000miles would it ruin the flywheel by any chance?
Please let me know any repair shop in the Bay area or Los Angeles area for installing the SB kit.

Thanks,

Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM

No, your flywheel won't be ruined, BUT...

Your flywheel has to either be replaced or resurfaced. You SHOULD NOT simply put a new clutch in with the same flywheel. The surfaces must mate and wear together. Putting in a worn flywheel with a new clutch will expedite failure of both. Again, if you buy it from SB, they will resurface your flywheel for free but you have to sent it to them and wait for it to come back. That may not be possible with your mechanic. The other option is to purchase a new one for the install and have the mechanic give you the old one to send to SB for resurfacing then selling it on an Audi forum to possibly help another person out down the line and recoup a bit of your expense for the new one. I'll probably be doing the second option when it comes my time.

i'm sorry but I do not live in CA so have no idea about shops out there.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear

+1
either new flywheel (expensive) or get it resurfaced (100 bucks or less)

Old 02-13-2009, 06:43 PM
4th Gear

If your guy wont do the install of a SB I can always line up the install at 034 if you want. I dont list the the stage 1 or stage 2 for the 1.8t on our site but do sell it. I start at stage 3 on the site because thats the lowest clutch I suggest using for the A4 1.8T even when chipped. The Stage 2 is only $25 less then the Stage 3 so thats why most people just go with the Stage 3.

Stage 1 = $390
Stage 2 TZ = $420
Stage 3 OFE HD = $445

All include free ground shipping in the 48 states.

If you do want to go with a single mass flywheel, go with either the 17 or 20 lbs billet steel flywheels that I offer from South Bend. The 20 lbs flywheel will have no gear rattle while the 17 will have a little but not as much as the 15 lbs flywheel. South Bend just did their first run of 17 lbs flywheels so those are now in stock and ready to be shipped. I list all of the steel flywheels on my SB package at $400 with free shipping in the 48 states.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 02-13-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

wthhhhhh i didnt change mine til 101 k

and even then it was still workable although it released to the top.

go with south bend stage 3 clutch kit. awetuning.com i went then.....feel exactly like stock other then it engaging earlier

Old 02-14-2009, 11:37 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by itsmatt33
wthhhhhh i didnt change mine til 101 k

and even then it was still workable although it released to the top.

go with south bend stage 3 clutch kit. awetuning.com i went then.....feel exactly like stock other then it engaging earlier
Well miles dont really tell the whole story of how the car is driven. When driving on the fwy the clutch really does see any wear, while driving in traffic gets tons of wear. This is why doing 1000 miles of fwy driving during the break-in period doesn't real do anything compared to doing 500 miles of traffic driving.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:33 PM

^ so true, i have a 132,000 miles on my original clutch, a lot of traveling. im finally gonna get it replaced in the next week or two. im getting the stage 3 from mike cuz he has the cheapest price w/ free shipping. awe told me $469 w shipping where mikes is $445!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by A4speed
^ so true, i have a 132,000 miles on my original clutch, a lot of traveling. im finally gonna get it replaced in the next week or two. im getting the stage 3 from mike cuz he has the cheapest price w/ free shipping. awe told me $469 w shipping where mikes is $445!
Trying my best to save people money.