B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Strange noise only in first gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange noise only in first gear?

I just bought this car a week and a half ago(2004 A4 6spd),it has been sitting in my garage until today when I finally got it licensed and on the road, I took it for a spin around the block and noticed that at every start I would hear a noise (almost like the sound of the wheel on wheel of fortune) while taking off in first gear only, as soon as I shift into second gear the noise would dissapear. I test drove the car twice but never noticed this noise-probably because I had all the windows rolled up and it was less noticeable.From what I have read it sounds like it may be a damaged tooth on the first gear???
Has anyone else encountered this problem? any ideas on how much this will cost to repair?
Should I go after the guy that sold me the car to help me out with the repair bill, he obviously knew of this problem when he sold me the car......[/align]

vbrep_register("64992")

Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange noise only in first gear?

i have the same problem with my 04 1.8t 6speed quattro. have you solved the problem lupin? if yes what did you fix or replaced? thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 03:44 PM

ya my 02 a4 1.8t does the same thing only in first gear ive narrowed it down to either broken motor mount or cv joint but still havent taken it to dealer....just go to your dealer and take them for a ride....and does your do it when you have the pedal to the floor or just accelerating quickly??

Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear

the sound is present when i release the clutch and whenthe car is in motion. the clicking is present even when running slowly.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Mine does it only in first gear as soon as I release the clutch and start moving, it does not matter if I acclerate slowly or fast it still does it, the noise (clicking) gets quicker and louder the fasterI go in first gear.I did notice that the sound goes away when I let off the gas so its almost as if the sound is only present when there is torque from the engine, if it was a motor mount or cv joint why would the sound only be present in first gear?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lupin

Mine does it only in first gear as soon as I release the clutch and start moving, it does not matter if I acclerate slowly or fast it still does it, the noise (clicking) gets quicker and louder the fasterI go in first gear.I did notice that the sound goes away when I let off the gas so its almost as if the sound is only present when there is torque from the engine, if it was a motor mount or cv joint why would the sound only be present in first gear?
we have the same problem lupin. i searched this site and i think its a broken firstgeartooth. i doesnt affect the cars performance but its embarassing when cruising around in first. mine is really loud especially when accelerating hard in first. it makes me shift to 2nd earlier because of the irritating sound. i hope it can be remedied by just changing the gear oil or something less expensive than bringing the entire trans out and changing the broken gear. somebody help us pls diagnose the problem!!! i love the car but i hate the clicking sound!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

Hey chebong, thats exactly the way I feel, I love the car but I am embarassed by the sound first gear makesso Ioften shift early into second gear especially when my neighbours are outside.How long have you owned your car and what mileage do you have? also I am curious as to when you first started to hear the noise,was it after a hard launch? Itoo believe that its a chipped or broken first gear tooth but I dont know what would cause it to be damaged, I was quoted $1300 just for the part from Audi-Thats an insane price for just a small gear but I dont think I have a choice because its probably a dealer only item, I was hoping to find a wrecked A4 with the same transmission that I can buy for parts but they are hard to find and there are no guarantees that it will be better than mine.I was actually planning on changing my gear oil some time this weekwith the hope that it may quiet the noise a bit-I will post my results after I do this.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lupin

Hey chebong, thats exactly the way I feel, I love the car but I am embarassed by the sound first gear makesso Ioften shift early into second gear especially when my neighbours are outside.How long have you owned your car and what mileage do you have? also I am curious as to when you first started to hear the noise,was it after a hard launch? Itoo believe that its a chipped or broken first gear tooth but I dont know what would cause it to be damaged, I was quoted $1300 just for the part from Audi-Thats an insane price for just a small gear but I dont think I have a choice because its probably a dealer only item, I was hoping to find a wrecked A4 with the same transmission that I can buy for parts but they are hard to find and there are no guarantees that it will be better than mine.I was actually planning on changing my gear oil some time this weekwith the hope that it may quiet the noise a bit-I will post my results after I do this.
love the car but i cant cruise around in first gear. especially in our country which is usually stop and go traffic. i just had the car a week ago. i didnt notice it when i test drove the car. i feel in love right away how it acelerated, sounded and handled.my car only has 28thousand kms on it. i hope our problem will be solved by a simple and way cheaper gear oil change but i know its a long shot. if the broken gear will not make things worse for the car maybe i will have to live with the noisy first gear until i have to change the clutch.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Hey people. This is my first post. I don't drive our Audi generally, its my wife's car. I have this exact problem though. My car is a 2001 2.8 Quat. I'm very concerned because this seems like a problem that could become worse and eventually disable the car completely. You can't trade in or sell it like this, no one will buy it, but I'm not real keen on spending $3,000 or whatever rediculous amount to get this issue corrected. Has anyone that has had this issue had it corrected and if so, what was the bill?

Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

hmmm. I seem to have to same problem as all of you mentioned above. I have a 02 a4 w/65k, I already took out the tranny, I'll probably start taking it apart tomorrow and check everything out.

Quick Reply: Strange noise only in first gear?