B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Starting problem, is the battery die?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Starting problem, is the battery die?

I am totally new to A4. I got a starting problem but not sure which part is failed. Yesterday morning I try to start my car but it's failed it just keeping cranking. After I try several times, it stops starting at all. Nothing happened to the car, No reaction!!! When I jump start the car, it works and the engine is working fine. I let the engine working about 30 mints and try to start the car again, it failed again.
I thought the battery is flat so I charged it with a battery charger from Halfords. After finish charging the battery, the indicator turn green on the charger, I try again but unlucky it fail.
I think the battery maybe die but my friend told me that maybe the alternator is not working as well.
Or maybe there are other reasons
Any ideas about this problem?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

It could be either of the two, or both. You should jump the car, drive it to your local parts store and have them test the charging system of the car. They can tell you if your alternator is working or not. Either way, it sounds like your battery isn't holding a charge, so that will probably need to be replaced.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear

If the car runs without problem its not the alternator. Most likely is the battery.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

Thank you guys for the advices. I may check alternator firstly just in case.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

You can check your alternator by running the car. If the alternator was bad it would not run. Your battery is die.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

OP's post is a problem of car not starting, battery wearing down is the result. So, I have same problem and I have not found the answer after much searching.

What is it that causes these cars to not start after sitting? I have found fuel pressure leaks down but injectors are not wet, so am guessing fuel pump. I changed plugs, filter, PCV breather, check valves. Still does not fire up. So, what is it? I see the problem with many threads, no clear answer.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

If he's jumping the car and it starts without a problem, that would make me believe either the battery isn't holding a charge, or the alternator isn't charging it like it should.

A4inMaui, Does your car eventually start? and if so, what do you have to do to get it to start?

The valve that controls the vacuum in the tank could also be the culprit. Before I changed mine, everytime I filled my tank, the car would crank and crank before it started.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Myst420
If he's jumping the car and it starts without a problem, that would make me believe either the battery isn't holding a charge, or the alternator isn't charging it like it should.

A4inMaui, Does your car eventually start? and if so, what do you have to do to get it to start?

The valve that controls the vacuum in the tank could also be the culprit. Before I changed mine, everytime I filled my tank, the car would crank and crank before it started.
True, if it starts easily after jumping, your are right. OP-does it start right up if you jump it? Also, along with Myst's suggestions, clean the battery terminals.

Thx Myst420, never heard of that but it makes sense! My car sometimes will start after cranking and it gets closer the more I crank. BTW, I jump the fuel pump so it runs the whole time I crank to eliminate that as a possibility. Car runs fine when it does start, one out 8 times. I have owned it for a month, driven it 100 yards total

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Hi guys:

I have check the alternator following a guide on youtube. It looks working fine so I just bought a new battery and change by self. Now it is start without any hesitation and it has run about 50 miles since battery change without any problem. I guess it's the battery problem firstly. I may test for another part in the following days. Thank you very much mates.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Nice, good to hear you are got it going. If you don't have one yet, I think every person should own a multimeter/volt meter and you can get them at harbor freight for less than $5. Best money ever spent for a mandatory tool.

Quick Reply: Starting problem, is the battery die?