B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

speaker sound issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 AM
1st Gear
Question speaker sound issues

Hey guys I have a few questions.

To start off I have a 2002 A4 with Symphony stereo no Bose.

My problem is the rear speakers are very quiet and I do not hear the sub at all. The front speaker seem to hit fairly hard for door speakers but the rears sound like the bass is all the way down. I know about the fade and messing around with it doesnt change the sound in the rear at all other than when it is all the way to the front there is no sound from the rear as there shouldnt be. I am a bit confused as to why this is. I dont think that the amp is blown because if it is wired the same a sub/amp that I have wired up many times then when the amp goes out the sub does not get any power at all but maybe I am wrong when it comes to speakers/amp and the audi system. Any thoughts?

Also does anyone know the specs as to whether it is a 2 or 4 channel amp and what watt it is? I want to put in an aftermarket amp equal to what is in it because I dont care to pay $300 for an OEM one from the stealer.

I cant seem to find any info as to my specific problems so any help is appreciated in advance.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

Crickets..... Crickets.....???

Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 PM
4th Gear

i dont think it would matter if u plan on running the speakers off a different amp wether its four channel or two. So u had adjusted the trebel to the rear and still have no sound. Have u checked your wiring or no?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

It's not that I have no sound out of the rear.... There is sound it's just very quiet like I'f the volume was at 5. Any ideas?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

Update.. I got to the AMP this morning and unplugged it... Checked the door speakers in the rear and the sub and nothing. So I plugged the harness back in and I had sound from the rear speakers and also bass coming from the sub but still the sound was very quiet. A couple local stereo places are contradicting each other so im looking for direction from you all. Id rather not spend $300 on an OEM amp from the stealer to find out its not that. Any one local with an extra amp laying around maybe so I can meet up and test it out?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

factory radio or aftermarket? i have the same issue when i switched to after market . but even with the factory i had it faded to the rear 2 notches. with the aftermarket i hsve it set to rear 8 to be even with front. tech guy from crutchfeild said the audi system runs off data and may be the reason i need it switched so much. not sure if this helps

Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
4th Gear

this is the best ive found so far relating no sound from speakers. . .There are two TSBs on this issue.
First TSB #05-13

Condition: Sound from door speakers in one door intermittently stops operating. This condition may occur while driving (especially on rough road) or in cold weather when opening/closing the doors. This condition may be corrected by increasing radio volume. May be caused by intermittent electrical contact of door speaker wiring harness terminals due to grease in the electrical connector at A-pillar.

Solution: Disconnect door electrical connector. Clean door connector using one of the following methods:
- Wipe away grease with towel
- Remove grease using suitable solvent
- Blow out connector with air pressure
- Connect door connector and assure proper wiring and harness end connection

Second TSB #04-12

Condition: Front midrange door speakers and rear midrange door speakers may intermittently stop working due to speaker electrical contact touching the crossbar of window. Condition may also be perceived as a crackling.

Solution: Remove the midrange (tweeter) speaker by prying out the small cover, and apply a felt trip to the window crossbar behind it.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
this is the best ive found so far relating no sound from speakers. . .There are two TSBs on this issue.
First TSB #05-13

Condition: Sound from door speakers in one door intermittently stops operating. This condition may occur while driving (especially on rough road) or in cold weather when opening/closing the doors. This condition may be corrected by increasing radio volume. May be caused by intermittent electrical contact of door speaker wiring harness terminals due to grease in the electrical connector at A-pillar.

Solution: Disconnect door electrical connector. Clean door connector using one of the following methods:
- Wipe away grease with towel
- Remove grease using suitable solvent
- Blow out connector with air pressure
- Connect door connector and assure proper wiring and harness end connection

Second TSB #04-12

Condition: Front midrange door speakers and rear midrange door speakers may intermittently stop working due to speaker electrical contact touching the crossbar of window. Condition may also be perceived as a crackling.

Solution: Remove the midrange (tweeter) speaker by prying out the small cover, and apply a felt trip to the window crossbar behind it.
I had 2 amps in my Audi. The sub runs off its own amp. Check behind the rear passenger seat in the trunk. The rear speakers and sub were running off that amp which is why the front speakers were so loud bc it was only wired to the front amp.

Best buy figured it out and said it was starting to go so I just put in a whole new system: infinity component kappas all around hooked up to a 4 channel alpine amp and had a mono alpine amp to my alpine type r's. But if your not wanting to spend that money then you can either replace it with a new or used amp.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Aftermarket radio now rear speakers and sub are quiet

Hello. New to this forum,

Have a 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro with a symphony II factory system I recently switched to a aftermarket radio. The rear speakers and sub are working but they are very quiet. I would like to keep the factory amp and sub, it sounded good with factory radio I'm just looking to restore that sound with this aftermarket radio. Any help would be great, thanks