B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Solid Flywheel vs. Dual Mass

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Question Solid Flywheel vs. Dual Mass

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been googling/searching for days, but I just can't seem to come up with what I'm looking for, so let me explain, and maybe you guys can give me some feedback.

I have an 02 A4 1.8tq at just about the 150k miles mark. I'm heading down to the Outer Banks in a few weeks (about a 9 hour trip), so I'm thinking it's time to do the clutch. I'm bone stock at this point, and I never really see myself doing much more than a chip and a few minor motor mods, so I've sort of eliminated the need for a 'performance' clutch.

On the other hand, the OEM clutch felt sort of mushy and unresponsive even at 60k miles, so I thought maybe I'd get something a little more performance oriented. My last car was an Integra GSR which I had a lightweight flywheel in and I thought it made a world of difference.

The question, really, is has anybody done the solid flywheel conversion? Has it made a difference? Did it make it annoying as a daily driver (chatter, grabbing, etc..)? Is there a better option I'm not aware of?

Thanks, in advance for the advice

Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
4th Gear

If you do go with one make sure to stick with a billet steel flywheel and use a sprung disk clutch setup not a unsprung disk that gets used with a stock flywheel.

With a lighter single mass flywheel the engine will become more responsive to the throttle pedal and you will notice that the clutch engages a little quicker.

The lighter the flywheel the more gear chatter you will hear, if you stick with a 17 lbs or 20 lbs South Bend flywheel you will hear very little to no gear rattle.

If you are interested in a South Bend flywheel let me know. I also offer SB clutch/flywheel packages, so you could even go with a stage 1 (organic material) clutch with one of the SB flywheels. When ordering both a SB clutch/flywheel package a Bolt kit is included at no charge, it includes all new flywheel and pressure plate bolts. My prices also include free ground shipping to anywhere in the 48 states.

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...=4&productId=1