B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Small Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Small Issues...

I didn't mention in my first post but I have been seeing two minor issues with the car...1)ESP light I believe (yellow warning light) appears every once in a while. After I shut her off it goes away. 2) when the car is cold and even sometimes warm it vibrates quite a bit. It seems to be obviously plugs and or wires but maybe it's natural for this car...I'm not sure. Thanks for any help...

Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Also the tape deck seems to be screwing up every so often. I have the cassete adapter for my iPod and lately it will stop playing and just act like it's ejecting. Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TheycallmeClutch
Also the tape deck seems to be screwing up every so often. I have the cassete adapter for my iPod and lately it will stop playing and just act like it's ejecting. Any ideas?
Mine only works with some tape adapters and not others - the first tape adapter I tried, it would just keep trying to switch sides on the tape continually until it gave up and ejected. Later I found another adapter in the closet and tried that one and it's been working fine since. I'd suggest trying another (the one that's been working for me is a monster brand). Regarding your other question, I don't know the answer, but hopefully that helps with the tape deck at least. Ideally I'd like to just get a proper iPod interface for mine, including a cradle, but given that it's a want rather than a need, funds have dictated that it has to wait for now...

Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

when that ESP light flickers, that means it's working. when it's on all the time, it's because you disabled it. if you have a 4 cylinder turbo with some ***** it will vibrate a little at idle.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

The ESP came on again tonight. It comes on and stays on until I shut the car off and then it may not come on for a while. The ESP button near doesn't seem to light when i press it. And I have a feeling the car may need a tune up if its running rough like it is. I mean its cold out and its when i first start it up its usually rough. It might just be the way it is. Its fine about 1100-1200 rpm's but when it goes to 800 or 900 rpm it vibrates and seems like it running rough. Dont know if this is common or not.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Now that I think about maybe its running rough because the engine should be running around 1200 rpm when its cold until it warms up enough then switch to the lower rpm. I think its doing when the engine is still cold which is causing it to run rough. This is just a guess any ideas?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

if the ESP light stays on i wonder if the alignment is off and the ESP is compensating for it.

at a cold startup the idles should be higher than ~1100 RPM or so for a moment. then when it's warmed up a little it drops to ~800.

yes, the engine sometimes idles a little rough at idle. it's a combination of the inline 4 cylinder, decent sized fuel injectors, decent cam lift and an untamed factory tune.

i might just get the alignment checked. i wonder what else would cause the ESP light to be on constantly?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

sony tape didnt work for me, belkin tape does.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by esandes
if the ESP light stays on i wonder if the alignment is off and the ESP is compensating for it.

at a cold startup the idles should be higher than ~1100 RPM or so for a moment. then when it's warmed up a little it drops to ~800.

yes, the engine sometimes idles a little rough at idle. it's a combination of the inline 4 cylinder, decent sized fuel injectors, decent cam lift and an untamed factory tune.

i might just get the alignment checked. i wonder what else would cause the ESP light to be on constantly?
No, ESP will not compensate for alignment issue.

Seems like your concern is probably more likely releated to the brake light switch.

And if the engine is stumbling or a little ruff on cold start.... You can tell yourself all day long its normal so you don't have to spend any money. But its not.

But it could be a variety of a few things. Most likely vacuum related. Internal or external

Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

I don't understand how the brake light switch would effect the esp light. Maybe you can clarify. thanks...

Quick Reply: Small Issues...