B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

seafoam question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM

I used 2 cans: 1 in gas tank and 1/2 each in manifold and oil. I drove until gas tank was near empty and did the oil. I had no issues. The argument is leaving it in too long the stuff loosens up the sludge too much and it collects in the uptake screen. Don't leave it in long enough and it does nothing. You have to choose.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

can you even see the timing belt without taking anaything off?, b/c im in the same situation 95k, never had the timing belt changed and i don't really want to spend the money except mine is a 3.0

Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

****, thats twice as expensive as what my job would be, also with the 1.8t you can see the belt right on the front of the engine, im thankful for that little bit at least

but with your engine, i dont believe you can see your belts, possible by taking the plastic cover off you will see them.

but dont take my word for it, ive never even looked at a 3.0 before.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 PM

At least on the 1.8, you can take off the timing belt cover. The black plastic engine cover "mates" with a piece in the very front of the engine. This piece covers teh timing belt. There are 2 or 3 metal clips you pop and you can pull it away to see the timing belt from the top.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear

on the 3.0 there's a torx screw that you need to take off to see the belt, you take the cover that says "3.0" and you'll see the torx screw there but, if the belt was done when recommended you won't be able to tell the difference. If you're not sure just do it. Find yourself a good shop and you can get it done for around 1500 bucks, much cheaper than repairing the engine due to a broken belt.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 AM

Ok. My question is if a i seafoam my car will it cause the timing belt to fail?
will i need new spark plugs after i feed it throught the brake booster line?
what kind of things should i expect (good and bad)?
I've heard good things about seafoam but i want to know how mush cash it will cost to have the end result of an smooth runing car and better gas mileage.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RobSline
I've heard good things about seafoam but i want to know how mush cash it will cost to have the end result of an smooth runing car and better gas mileage.
Seafoam will not cause your engine to fail as long as you do it correctly. I would never drive the car or rev it with the Seafoam in the crankcase. Here is the order of things:
Put one can in fuel tank, then top it off with fuel. Once that fuel has been burned out of the tank you can proceed to step two. Suck 1/3 a can into a vacuum line (you can find detailed diagrams of which one online). Make sure to measure out 1/3 can and suck it up slowly. If you just plunge the vacuum line into the can you will suck in too much. Have someone ready to shut off the ignition as soon as all the Seafoam has been sucked in. They need to be ready to kill the engine by holding it in gear and letting out the clutch with the brakes on since the engine may diesel really bad. Wait at least 20 minutes before restarting the engine. Let it burn out, then take it for a romp around the block to blast the final puffs of smoke out. Now, if you are prepared to change the oil, pour half a can in the crankcase and let the engine idle for a few minutes - 10 or so. Drain oil. Replace filter and oil. Change spark plugs as they will be full of scale.
Your timing belt will not be affected by the Seafoam, but do replace it if you are concerned. A timing belt is so much cheaper than pulling the head and replacing the entire valve train.
How much cash will it cost? Just bought a can tonight for about $9.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cmurda440
can you even see the timing belt without taking anaything off?, b/c im in the same situation 95k, never had the timing belt changed and i don't really want to spend the money except mine is a 3.0
We just bought a 3.0 Quatro, and I saw the bill for the past owner's timing belt failure at 72,000 miles. Almost $5,000. Change your timing belt already!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by ljschnel
We just bought a 3.0 Quatro, and I saw the bill for the past owner's timing belt failure at 72,000 miles. Almost $5,000. Change your timing belt already!
All this timing belt talk has got me worried. $1500 is not a small amount of money but niether is $5000!!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by RobSline
No, it will not affect your timing belt. The timing belt on the 1.8 has been known to fail prematurely mostly due to the plastic impeller on teh water pump taking a crap... but it has broken, too. Anyway, seafoam and your timing belt are not related.

DO NOT FEED SEAFOAM THROUGH ANYTHING RELATED TO YOUR BRAKES!!! Only use seafoam in gas tank, oil, or the vacuum line going into the intake manifold. The techniques are documented in the many DIYs.

If done right, seafoam will help clean out deposits and to smooth idle, clean injectors, and reduce the chance of engine sludge.

I have no idea what you mean by your last question but seafoam is about $5 a can. If you don't like it, I think the other half of the crowd supports the Auto-RX treatment. I THINK, I don't quite remember the name.

Quick Reply: seafoam question