B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Replaced DV and N75, wrong spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Replaced DV and N75, wrong spring?

Just got back from a test drive after replacing an obnoxious APR R1 (honks a lot) with a Forge 007, and swapped in a new N75. It's definitely smoother, so I'm assuming the new N75 is doing its job, but it feels like it has less power according to the butt-dyno. Currently APR stg1 flash, K&N panel filter, Hitachi E CPs, otherwise stock. I'm using the green spring with two spacers, which from what I've read is good for stg1, but perhaps I need the yellow? Pretty sure the DV is in the right way, bottom to intake, side to compressor outlet. Not hearing any whoosh/pssht/foof/whatever from the DV, where I could kinda hear it with the R1 (when it wasn't honking).

Any thoughts from the resident turbo ninjas?

P.S. Whoever is responsible for those one-use hose clamps needs his/her fingers broken.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Replaced DV and N75, wrong spring?

ORIGINAL: nihil

Just got back from a test drive after replacing an obnoxious APR R1 (honks a lot) with a Forge 007, and swapped in a new N75. It's definitely smoother, so I'm assuming the new N75 is doing its job, but it feels like it has less power according to the butt-dyno. Currently APR stg1 flash, K&N panel filter, Hitachi E CPs, otherwise stock. I'm using the green spring with two spacers, which from what I've read is good for stg1, but perhaps I need the yellow? Pretty sure the DV is in the right way, bottom to intake, side to compressor outlet. Not hearing any whoosh/pssht/foof/whatever from the DV, where I could kinda hear it with the R1 (when it wasn't honking).

Any thoughts from the resident turbo ninjas?

P.S. Whoever is responsible for those one-use hose clamps needs his/her fingers broken.
With just a chip, you should be running the green spring with either no spacers or 1 spacer, i think 2 spacers might be pushing it... Is the Forge installed the same way your APR R1 was? or is it reversed... reversed would be vacuum nipple facing up towards the top of the engine. If its in the reversed orientation, try removing a spacer or both.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

I thought green was for stock, yellow for chipped, and blue for bt?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Oh and the 007 is installed the same way the R1 was, but I don't recall if I had reversed that or not while trying to get rid of the honk/moo. Vacuum nipple faces right, compressor outlet to the side port, intake/airbox to the bottom of valve (the one you can stick your finger in and push the piston up, pressure hits the side of the piston, not the face).

Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 PM
SoCal Crew Member

The R1 faces stock orientation, Forge should be reversed, so the vacuum nipple is up... Go and reverse it and take it for a drive

Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
SoCal Crew Member

The R1 faces stock orientation, Forge should be reversed, so the vacuum nipple is up... Go and reverse it and take it for a drive ... As far as which spring, according to forges website, the Green spring is rated for 5-15lbs of boost... A chipped car only pushes around 15lbs, thats why you use green and put in 1 spacer... 2 spacers might be too much, and the yellow might be a little too strong... Its trial and error, first stick with whats inside the dv, reverse it and then post up results. I'm running APR 1+ with all supporting mods (intake, FMIC, TIP, test pipe, and full exhaust) and i'm only running the yellow spring w/ no spacers...

Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Reversing it will have to wait until tomorrow, it started raining again and the Jeep is in the garage half taken apart. I'm going to wait until my laptop holder gets home from work, and log requested vs. actual boost.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Just got back from a test drive with it reversed. It's definitely more audible, not sure if it's pulling any harder or not. I did notice that the "psshew" sound disappears above ~5k rpm. The logs from last night looked fairly normal.