B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Rear Window Radio Amplifier/Booster

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Rear Window Radio Amplifier/Booster

Hi guys

Quick question for my B6 S4 Avant...

I've replaced the stereo with an aftermarket version, but am getting a VERY poor radio reception.

Now, there are two aerial leads behind the stereo, one ISO and one FAKRA. The main one being the ISO (like a normal aerial plug).

The new head unit (all singing and dancing with Sat Nav, DVD, touch screen, bluetooth etc) only has one aerial input (ISO).

There was a 'booster' supplied with the aftermarket unit which basically has two Fakra inputs on one end and it goes out to one ISO on the other end (which plugs in to the new head unit), and also has a lead for a 12V feed.

So, I had to buy an adapter to change the ISO to FAKRA so I have two Fakra's essentially coming from the car end now...

I gave it the 12V live feed, but sounds aweful...

I've tried swapping the two (now FAKRA) connectors around but it only works one way around. Also noted that if I unplug the secondary aerial from the booster it makes NO difference. So the secondary aerial (the original FAKRA one, not the ISO one) may as well not be attached to the booster at all!!!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong guys, but the secondary aerial is linked to an 'amplifier' or booster which is built into the car as standard and sits at the top of the rear screen?

And it's this secondary aerial that ensures a good quality signal.

Now, my set up is basically aerial 1 connected, and secondary aerial not connected.

It made sense that the booster (aftermarket) needs a 12v feed as I assumed it would send 12V to the amplifier above the rear screen???

What the hell is going on, and any ideas why my set up is not working, and what I can try to fix it????

Does the original Audi head unit do anything with the signal received from the secondary aerial cable (and booster near the rear screen)???

Help please guys!!!

Many thanks!

Lion Heart