B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

radio code for 2004 A4 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Default radio code for 2004 A4 1.8

I tried searching the threads for this but most seem to be old. In the meantime, I am finding out lots of stuff on this subject. I bought this car used and of course the card with the radio security code is not there. I have the S/N to the radio, with lots of other numbers from the radio. I purchased an iPod connection kit and and I don't want to unhook the battery during the installation until I have the radio code.

Of course the only Audi dealer in my area continues to say I need to come in even though I have the numbers needed to get the code. I do have a connection to a mechanic who has access to get this number but he says the web site is saying the S/N is no good to the car VIN number. This is the number on the side beginning with AUZ, I really don't believe the radio was ever switched out. I bought a SAT tuner and hooked it up. The harness was never used. I gave this guy the other numbers I found on the radio and he will continue to try. In the meantime, I am waiting on a call from a manager at Audi who said if this car was over serviced there, he possibly could get the radio code.

My questions:

Is there a chance the 4 digit number is on one of the stickers on the radio?

Is the diagnostic took used to look up error codes on cars the same way the security code is retrieved? My mechanic should be able to get this then.

Has anyone ever taken their radio out for a long period of time and it still worked when hooked back up?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

The radio code is in the stereo manual that is with the owners manual. The vin should start with wau

Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 AM
1st Gear
Default I have the radio code

Thanks for the reply. As I said in my post, the card was removed from the radio manual because I purchased it used from a local CarMax. I also know my VIN and had the S/N to the radio. Here is what I have done/learned:

1) The Audi dealership in my area does not want to give you the radio code. They want you to come in regardless that you have both the VIN and S/N to radio.

2) You can get the code from a web site called www.justanswer.com for as little as $9. By providing them the VIN and S/N from the radio.

3) My radio, Symphony II, SAT/CD/tape, will play after disconnecting the battery for a period of time without having to enter the code!!! I am installing an iPod integration kit and I disconnected the battery 3 to 4 times, leaving it powered down for over 15 to 20 minutes each time. And it would come back on every time without having to enter the code.

However, I have noticed several things that were affected by disconnecting the battery. First I could not lock the car or open the trunk by remote. I started the car, checked a few things and then turned it off. Then the car would lock and unlock and the trunk would open by remote key. This morning, I noticed my electric windows do not go all the way down by a touch of the window switch. I had to hold each one down until the windows rolled down and then up.

Lots of fun! But I learned several things too.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

I don't think the radio asks for the code unless it is removed from the car. As for other things after reconnecting the battery, that is normal. The ecu re-learns all the sensors in the car. Your windows will start working again once you roll them all the way up, then down once or twice. You will also notice the ESP light will stay on the first time you drive the car until you have driven it a mile or so.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

You are right. I went out during lunch and only had to push it once and the window rolled down. I wasn't sure what the little triangle light with a circle around it was at first but it did go out on my way to work. The dash where it tells me how many miles to the gallon I'm getting while driving isn't working the same. It's been displaying very low numbers all of the time instead of going up and down. Like as I am coming to a stop, it almost always shows I am getting 168, etc to the gallon. Always makes me chuckle.