B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Quart oil overfil on 1.8T Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Quart oil overfil on 1.8T Engine

Hi,

Recently took my car in for an oil change. Provided my own Castrol Syntec 5-40 and audi filter.. Anyway seeing that i have NO CONFIDENCE in any of the work these cowboys carried out, i decided to check out my levels after the oil change.

Low and behold there's an extra 1/2 inch above the max line on the dipstick.. Meaning they put in the full 5 quarts that i brought in... I thought they were already taking the **** when they gave me nothing back from the 5 quarts.. But now i know why.. They just poured the whole lot in.. Not too mention not fitting the splash guard properly.

What a bunch of fckuing cowboys...

I would normally do my own oil changes, but having a 1.8T I like to keep the receipts incase i get the failure later in its life due to the sludge / oil pickup..

Anyway, how damaging is it to have 1 quart too much in my car? Thats 25% more than what it should have and I've probably done 1500miles in the last week with this overage.

I'm guessing there's no easy way to take one quart out unless you have one of those syphon machines.. Taking out the sump plug would probably mean I'd lose the entire lot.. OH what an annoyance.

Last edited by TheDoc46; 11-02-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Take the plug out of the pan and drain out a quart. Easy.

Don't go to quick lube places. Also easy.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tdoyle

you think ? Have you ever tried? Once that oil starts pissing out, it's not that easy to get the plug in..

Then goes your $50 of Syntec down the pan..

Easy...................... NOT !

Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Don't go to quick lube place.....
As said, I normally do my own oil changes.. HOWEVER since you can't read, i'll spell it out for you.

W A R R A N T Y on the 1.8T

Obviously no sensible answers coming from you.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 PM
4th Gear

Only thing your gonna be able to do is crack open the drain plug, or suck it out the dipstick tube. I cant remember how the filter is on yours, but you might be able to pull it and drain the oil from it. Should get you close to 1/2 a quart.

And, you dont need to go to a quick lube for the warranty.. just keeps the receipts and take a pic at every change.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Only thing your gonna be able to do is crack open the drain plug, or suck it out the dipstick tube. I cant remember how the filter is on yours, but you might be able to pull it and drain the oil from it. Should get you close to 1/2 a quart.

And, you dont need to go to a quick lube for the warranty.. just keeps the receipts and take a pic at every change.
Thanks and considering all the bad luck i have every single time I use a quick lube, I will do exactly that.. (last one included a punctured leather seat which resulted in the loss of use of my car for TWO full days for repair, grubby steering wheel, incorrectly fitted splash guard and lastly too much f'ing oil) Besides, I always Keep all the Audi receipts, since i always buy the oil and filter from them and from now onwards I will just film myself.

However the question still remains...

I've driven 1500 miles in one week, with a QUART over filled into my engine..

Could I possibly of damaged my engine ??

This is VERY important.

Last edited by TheDoc46; 11-02-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TheDoc46
Thanks and considering all the bad luck i have every single time I use a quick lube, I will do exactly that.. (last one included a punctured leather seat which resulted in the loss of use of my car for TWO full days for repair, grubby steering wheel, incorrectly fitted splash guard and lastly too much f'ing oil) Besides, I always Keep all the Audi receipts, since i always buy the oil and filter from them and from now onwards I will just film myself.

However the question still remains...

I've driven 1500 miles in one week, with a QUART over filled into my engine..

Could I possibly of damaged my engine ??

This is VERY important.
OK, I had the overfill drained today.. They actually let too much out and they had to order some more Syntec 5-40.. so i was hanging around for a good hr and a half.. But at least it now has the correct amount in there..

But the question still remains !!!!! Could I of damaged my engine / cat by driving around for 1500miles with a 0.8 Quart too much?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheDoc46
you think ? Have you ever tried? Once that oil starts pissing out, it's not that easy to get the plug in..

Then goes your $50 of Syntec down the pan..

Easy...................... NOT !
It is easy. I've done it. Don't be obtuse. Don't take the plug all the way out. Easy.

Loosten the drain plug, keep it there with your hand and don't take it all the way out. Just when you get it to the end of the thread the oil will come out at a very controllable rate adn you can vary that rate with a simple twist of your wrist. When you have enough out you screw the plug back in, check the level and take more out if you have to, or add a bit more if you took out too much. I do this every single time I change my oil because as you've noted, the oil squirts right the hell out of there and since I don't feel like moving my oil catcher all over the place and have used oil spill all over the driveway, I just hold the plug in place for the first few quarts and remove it fully only when the pressure is low enough that the oil come out and goes right in the pan. This is 5th grade physics here.

Don't go to quick lube place.....
As said, I normally do my own oil changes.. HOWEVER since you can't read, i'll spell it out for you.

W A R R A N T Y on the 1.8T

Obviously no sensible answers coming from you.
Very little sense coming from your direction as well. Simmer down and take a deep breath and try to think this through.

My advice makes perfect sense, but I obviously imparted it to you in a manner that required more from you than you're willing to give right now. Its ok, let me spell it out for you.

D O N ' T G O T O Q U I C K L U B E P L A C E S.

Note that i did not say do it yourself. You see I can read and I understand that you want to have maintenance records proving that you've taken proper car of your motor. What i am suggesting is that you're going about it in a way that is likely to cause you trouble. Take it to the dealer and let them change the oil properly and maintain your records for you. It'll cost you about the same or maybe less than yuo're paying now to buy your own oil and take it to a quick lube place. If you're buying $50 worth of oil for a change in a 1.8 and then paying the quick lube place to do it for you, its probably going to be less at the dealer and it'll certainly more likely to be done properly and the proper records will be maintained for your peace of mind.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

Here's the problem you are worried about:

If enough oil is added above the full mark to cause the bottom of the crankshaft to be in the oil, then it will be beaten to a foamy froth and the added air in the oil will not lubricate properly, could cause engine damage.

The question is "How far above the full mark on the dipstick is the bottom of the crankshaft?"

I don't know the answer to that, but I bet your local Audi service does (or can get it for you).

Another problem with too much oil is the change in oil pressure at the turbo. This can cause seals to start leaking prematurely.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

it is easy. I've done it. Don't be obtuse. Don't take the plug all the way out. Easy.

Loosten the drain plug, keep it there with your hand and don't take it all the way out. Just when you get it to the end of the thread the oil will come out at a very controllable rate adn you can vary that rate with a simple twist of your wrist. When you have enough out you screw the plug back in, check the level and take more out if you have to, or add a bit more if you took out too much. I do this every single time i change my oil because as you've noted, the oil squirts right the hell out of there and since i don't feel like moving my oil catcher all over the place and have used oil spill all over the driveway, i just hold the plug in place for the first few quarts and remove it fully only when the pressure is low enough that the oil come out and goes right in the pan. This is 5th grade physics here.

Very little sense coming from your direction as well. Simmer down and take a deep breath and try to think this through.

My advice makes perfect sense, but i obviously imparted it to you in a manner that required more from you than you're willing to give right now. Its ok, let me spell it out for you.

D o n ' t g o t o q u i c k l u b e p l a c e s.

Note that i did not say do it yourself. You see i can read and i understand that you want to have maintenance records proving that you've taken proper car of your motor. What i am suggesting is that you're going about it in a way that is likely to cause you trouble. Take it to the dealer and let them change the oil properly and maintain your records for you. It'll cost you about the same or maybe less than yuo're paying now to buy your own oil and take it to a quick lube place. If you're buying $50 worth of oil for a change in a 1.8 and then paying the quick lube place to do it for you, its probably going to be less at the dealer and it'll certainly more likely to be done properly and the proper records will be maintained for your peace of mind.
y a w n

Quick Reply: Quart oil overfil on 1.8T Engine