B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

problems at the pump, other then gas prices.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 AM
1st Gear
Default problems at the pump, other then gas prices.

I'm about to tear my hair out, I have an 02 A4 1.8T for starters. I pull up to the pump and begin filling up my car and no matter if I have 3/4 tank or on E the pumps like to kick off almost right away, an its an uphill battle from there as it sits and kicks off. It takes me like 20 min to fill up my car an even then I don't always get it full. So I'm wondering if anyone else is having/had this problem? an any ideas to fix this?

Ive had the car for over a year now and it hasn't always done this and I don't know in its history if it was ever in an accident. Ive been trying to wait it out til my oil change comes up witch is soon but I'm just wondering if you guys have any insight for me.

The only two things I can think is A: all the pumps by me are flowing too fast and setting its self off or B: there is a kink or a screen that is clogged enough to back up the gas, either way it don't sound cheep to fix and I'm not sure if I can just live with it. Other then that I love my car. Any ideas would be awesome or if no thoughts I'll let you know anything when I bring it in.

Dave.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
4th Gear
Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

I've had a similar problem, but it only happens at one brand new gas station. I've tried multiple pumps at the station so I'm guessing it is all their new pumps. Even trying to put gas in slowly it will still stop immediately so it is not a flow rate issue. After 5 Minutes I only had a half gallon in so I gave up and got gas later. I do hear a hissing sound after I remove the pump from the tank.

Anyone hear of a change in gas pump specs that might cause this?

This is the only station I have ever had a problem like this.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Wow I just learned a lot from that site, thanks pA4ul. But I'm guessing the evap canister is something that you don't really need? That you can just delete it?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dave4189
I'm about to tear my hair out, I have an 02 A4 1.8T for starters. I pull up to the pump and begin filling up my car and no matter if I have 3/4 tank or on E the pumps like to kick off almost right away, an its an uphill battle from there as it sits and kicks off. It takes me like 20 min to fill up my car an even then I don't always get it full. So I'm wondering if anyone else is having/had this problem? an any ideas to fix this?

Ive had the car for over a year now and it hasn't always done this and I don't know in its history if it waPs ever in an accident. Ive been trying to wait it out til my oil change comes up witch is soon but I'm just wondering if you guys have any insight for me.

The only two things I can think is A: all the pumps by me are flowing too fast and setting its self off or B: there is a kink or a screen that is clogged enough to back up the gas, either way it don't sound cheep to fix and I'm not sure if I can just live with it. Other then that I love my car. Any ideas would be awesome or if no thoughts I'll let you know anything when I bring it in.

Dave.
I have the same issue and what I do now is just lift up on the bottom of the handle to tilt it and it usually works for me. It is annoying but this method seemed to work.