B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

possible A4 idleing problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM

Installation process is key with the aftermarket snubs. When you get it all installed, you leave the 3 bolts loose then fire up the car a bit to let it idle and center itself. Then you simply tighten the bolts and you're done. It may vibrate a bit when new but in a couple weeks if it's still vibrating too much repeat the idle/bolt process.

My Neuspeed install went very well and vibration wasn't noticeable at all. There is now more vibration since I took the front off for the timing belt job. I just haven't gotten the car up since then to redo the idle/bolt process.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

ok so when i get the part and I go to change the snub. I just undo the the triangular shaped piece attached the oil pan and then loosen the square piece holding the actual snub in place. Will the motor do anything when I take everything apart. I'm guessing not since thats the job of each side mount.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

Also if there are any other tips for the process they are much appreciated. I do have the APR instructions printed off.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM

The motor won't move, you're fine. The motor mounts bear the weight. The snub basically takes the brunt of movement when shifting gears and is also a potential source of excess vibration.

Nope, no other tips, it's a pretty easy DIY. You may have a bit of a time slipping the snub onto the arm but it will fit. Also, be safe and clear when you start the car to let it center itself. Don't be screwing around with the thing when belts are whizzing around. Shut off then tighten.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

Ok so I had the motor mounts replaced and of course that didn't fix the issue. When I get the car back which may be awhile due to some jerk scrapping the crap out of it while it was at the garage I won't get it back for awhile. Let me now of anything else.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

i finally got time today to put the snub mount in. I didn't have any trouble with installation. I put the neuspeed snub mount in. I have to say though that i'm very displeased because the vibration intensified quite a bit. Suspecting something may not be right I took it off and reinstalled everything. I'm going to give it a few days before I come up with a verdict. I may just call the dealer and put the original one back on. Any suggestions. The vibration is now bad enought that I can't see through my rear view mirrors. I dunno if I said this already but I had the motor mounts changed as well and no change either. Disappointments let me tell you.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 AM

It vibrates so bad you can't use the rearview??? That's really bad. Snub mounts absorb driveline shock when shifting gears so you'll notice a difference when doing that. I barely get any vibration on my neuspeed snub after a year of use. The random clunk when shifting was so annoying I never looked back after replacing it.

If you're vibrating that bad at idle and the engine mounts have been replaced, the only other items I have I probably already mentioned - vac leak (check all those thin braided hoses for cracks), check valves (hard plastic that can crack over time and affect idle), of course plugs, and maybe clean the MAF.

If I think of anything else I'll post back but you'll have to check each one really well.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

well no i wouldn't say that i can't see through the rear view but it vibrated bad enough at a stop light that it makes any fat on your body jiggle It just feels " rough" but doesn't feel like its missing or gasping for air or anything like that. The other crazy part is that it varies say I stop for one stop light it will be rough as crap and then at the next stop light it won't be as bad. Ok so you said to check one of the braided hoses and I noticed it when I seafoamed it that one or two of them was starting to feel and look rough (there might be a few little holes that I couldn't feel) but I couldn't find any holes. Also they are a little harder to replace. The one thats the worst is the one that connects right below the injectors and runs to the front of the motor and then around the side. It would probably be hard for me to replace but I may look into it. I agree I don't think this is a mount issue anymore although I ordered a stock mount (14 bucks) just because my snub mount made it worse. Also I have no decrease in performance at least from what I can tell anyway.

My car is hot right now but here in a few i'm gonna go check it out and see what i can find out

Old 04-08-2009, 03:53 PM

I bought several feet of silicone hose to replace every single piece of braided line under my hood. The stock lines dry over time and can crack. I bought 20' of 3.5mm hose from hosetechniques and I had plenty left over. Here's the lines I'm talking about:

Again, though, be sure to look at your check valves. They ensure airflow in a single direction. If one isn't working quite right then your idle may get messed up.

I'm offering the items I would check at first sign of rough idle. I hope it helps.

Last edited by wolfdog; 04-08-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

ok your picture is perfect. The hose that is listed as DV is the one that felt like crap. Also the hose that forms a backwords C on your drawing also didn't feel like it was very far out from having trouble itself.

Quick Reply: possible A4 idleing problem