B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

possible A4 idleing problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 PM

If your crankcase breather hose has a crack, get that replaced first then see if the problem still persists (after clearing all codes, of course).

Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

i have a somewhat different problem with my idleing. when i first start the car cold it runs fine for 2 mins then it revs a little louder and sounds like its the fuel pump kicking in but it is most heard in tthe front of the car not the rear.(i have the carbonio intake and you can really hear it...almost sounds like its sucking in a lot of air) anyways it will do this noise for about say 20 secs then shuts off. 5-10 mins later it will come back. its very consistant i hope its just the fuel pump kicking in and because of the carbonio its louder than stock airbox. please grant input. and sorry for the thread intrusion horsecrazy89

Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

ok i'm not sure if i posted this or not but I got my car back from audi. They couldn't find anything wrong with my car. The only thing they told me they wanted to do was change the motor mounts at 700 bucks. I laughed. but anyway they said that they are showing wear so I took them to another mechanic for another opinion and he told me that yes they were showing wear but most motor mounts do. So i'm torn about whether to replace them or not. He will replace them for a lil over 200 bucks. I seafoamed the car when I got back and man what a smoke show. I ran better while I was driving it but the seafoam didn't change the way it idled any. HELP

Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Thought about check the MAF but not sure where it is located. Does anyone have any pics of the MAF or how to clean the sensor on an 1.8T?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Did they check the snub mount? I forget where we are in this thread but a new snub might help. Stock ones age and become brittle. Perhaps yours is so worn it;s letting the front of the engine vibrate more than it should. The snub is considered an engine mount but I wonder if they are including that one. The other stock motor mounts are filled with a gel or something so if they go you'll know. Don't bother with changing those if not.

The MAF is located under the snorkel leading to the airbox. Follow the air intake from the front grille into the engine bay about a foot or something. Just below it on the right side you will see a plug. That is the plug for the MAF. To confirm you've got the right part, on both sides of the plug there are these tamper proof screws. They require a 5-point tool (like a torx but with 5 not 6 points) that has a hole in the center.

You can take the whole assembly out to clean it. I think I read a DIY where the guy just put the entire housing into a ziplock with the cleaner. What I'm trying to do is order the special socket online or maybe use a dremel to sort of make a slit in each screw so I can use a regular screwdriver rather than taking the whole housing out.

Last edited by wolfdog; 03-16-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

I asked the audi guy about it and he said that they never had changed one before (which might explain why the can't find the vibration) but idk what to do. My mechanic that works on germans all the time said his work book said it would take him 3.3 hours to change it out. I had said I would change it out myself but 3.3 hrs is a long time.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

Also Audi told me that the gel filled mounts (right and left) were leaking but when i took it my regular mechanic he said that he couldn't see anything leaking. I'm still getting him to replace them because he is giving me the mounts for 50 bucks and I can't find them anywhere that cheap online.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 AM

The snub mount is an easy replacement. Half-hour tops. In fact, you can inspect it with the hood up standing in front of your car. look straight down behind the fans. There will be a metal arm extending into the area behind the front bumper, just about your arm's length down. If your snub is stock, I think it's a yellowish orange color. With the car off, you can safely reach down and feel the condition of the snub with your hand. It will likely be brittle and hard. I'm not saying it is the cause of your issue but if it's pretty much rotted or something, it might just be giving the transmission enough room to vibrate freely at idle. If you decide to change it, you do it from underneath the car. Go to APR's website and look for their instructions on how to do it. Easy.

I don't know how good your mechanic is (was he looking at the right spot for mount leakage, etc.) but if your engine mounts are indeed leaking then those should be changed. The fluid/gel does the cushioning and if that's gone, well, self explanatory. You can go stock replacement or 034motorsports sells (solid, no gel/liquid) aftermarket ones (street density is closer to stock). If you can get under the car, you should be able to inspect these yourself. It's also a DIY job if you want to do it. Here's some info (note post #3).

Last edited by wolfdog; 03-17-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

yea and I checked them myself and didn't see any leaking. He is given me a decent deal on the price at 50 bucks a pop for new ones vs. 110 bucks online. His Audi book said the total time per mount was 2.1 hours which from other forums seems long. I really want to do this myself but am nervous about messing up. I think i'm going to tackle the snub mount myself. Its 13 or so dollars from the dealer but I may get one online so I can have it delivered to me. Also I have read on other places in this forum about aftermarket snubs created more vibration.....which ones do yall recommend?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM
2nd Gear

Take a look at the neuspeed snub, it seems to allow zero movement. That's the one I plan to use when I finally do mine.

Quick Reply: possible A4 idleing problem