B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

possible A4 idleing problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

A few questions:
I have the same exact issue. My 2003 1.8T vibrates at idle. I can feel my teeth vibrate with the car. The idle rpm is around 750. Shouldn't idle rpm be at 1000 ? When I rev up to 1000 the vibration stops. I had one of the coil packs replaced today. The shop also did the belt tensioner and the belt to see if it would stop the vibration but it didn't. All I hear now is a high pitch noise. Could that be the belts being too tight? HELP

Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

AMEN BROTHER.....audi pretty much told me to cough up more money if it bothered me that much or suck it up. My idle rpm is 800 and occassionally only really cold days falls to 750. But on really warm days it runs at 825. Have you checked the motor mounts? The might be oozing some fluid if they are worn, however having said that mine weren't leaking and Audi said they showed some signs of wear. I'm wondering about my belt tensioner honestly. Yea the high pitch noise could be and probably is the belt being too tight. Although i'm thinking that if Audi did it they would have checked it. Let me know what you find.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:21 AM

800 RPM is what I believe you're supposed to see at idle.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by horsecrazy8907
thanks krystallblue a4 for the great reply. I just heard from the dealer today but before I tell you that let me tell you all that I tested. I order one coil and swapped each one out seeing if it made any difference. It didn't change anything. Then i got suspicious at my spark plugs and pulled one out. THey only have 10000 miles on them and they look PERFECT and actually brand new.
So I took it to the dealership and they said that the mounts were showing some wear and wanted to replace them. They told me it would cost 700 bucks to change both of them out. I laughed and told them no thanks.
Also when I had the black cover off my 1.8T i noticed right at the top I believe where the injectors go in (right below the metal fuel rail?) that one ofthe injectors has oil all around it on the outside. Granted I know an injector is alot to get fixed but wondered if that could be the problem. I never heard of doing a seafoam induction service? Can you tell me how or where to find info? I goggled it and didn't find much. Also for I cannot find any info or pics on how to clean the MAF sensor for my car. I tried to do that once before. I'm not exactly sure where it is located on my 1.8T. Thanks in advance.
seafoam DIY:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng89.shtml

MAF DIY info:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1446627
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1055407.phtml

Motor mount DIY:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146377

If you want to replace your injector gasket:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng94.shtml

Just for the hell of it, throttle body DIY:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154798

Last edited by wolfdog; 03-07-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by horsecrazy8907
AMEN BROTHER.....audi pretty much told me to cough up more money if it bothered me that much or suck it up. My idle rpm is 800 and occassionally only really cold days falls to 750. But on really warm days it runs at 825. Have you checked the motor mounts? The might be oozing some fluid if they are worn, however having said that mine weren't leaking and Audi said they showed some signs of wear. I'm wondering about my belt tensioner honestly. Yea the high pitch noise could be and probably is the belt being too tight. Although i'm thinking that if Audi did it they would have checked it. Let me know what you find.
Audi did not replace the belt. A local shop that specializes in Audis did it. I actually bought the car from an Audi dealership this week. They sold me "AS IS" They had their techs look at the car and they all came to the conclusion that the vibration at idle is normal for 2003 1.8Ts. I did not buy that at all. This is the first time i've owned a 4 banger. All my other cars were either v6s or v8s. and idled smooth.

A few things. The engine is new, the mounts are new, spark plugs are new, coil packs were replaced. I am running out of options. I almost convinced myself that it was OK to have a back massage at idle while having the plaque shaken off of my teeth. This is depressing me. If i leave the car at idle, get out the car and place my hand onthe body you can feel vibration too.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

Is the intake manifold new? I cleared up some vibration when I seafoamed. Are you sure the mounts are new? Check for vacuum leaks, I would start with the check valves. When was the motor installed? Was it a reman? If so it should have a warranty from audi.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM

vac leak is first thing I'd look for as well.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

thanks a ton for the info...when i get my car back and get some time i'll clean the MAF and do some seafoam work. Also can you tell me where the check valve is located. They are a pretty quick fix aren't they.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

There are 7 check valves and they are known to rot. They are about $45 from a vw dealer, but there is a manufacturer that sells them for like $2 that I plan to order from. They are round plastic things with a nipple on each end, except one, which has 2 nips on one end. The easiest one to see is in the back left corner of the bay, if youre looking from the front of the car.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

hmm... i will def. look into that then. You mind telling me this other manufacturer you are talking about? 45 dollars seems like alot even from VW.

Quick Reply: possible A4 idleing problem