B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

possible A4 idleing problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
eek
1st Gear

Did you check the front axles for excessive play? That will do it.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 PM

I'm not reading all the posts but I would most certainly start with your snub mount. The OEM snubs degrade over time and cause vibration. Buy Neuspeed or Apikol and replace it. It's a DIY.

If that doesn't solve it, it could be the engine mounts or transmission mount.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with your timing belt. MAF sensor is a possibility and can be cleaned if you're curious.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

Anyone else thing it could be the snub mount...did some research and i can most def. change that myself. I'm going to check for wear first though. Any other ideas? I don't think its the front axle even though i did just have one replaced because if its really cold it will still do it in park. I will def. check for some play though

Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by horsecrazy8907
OK so I have a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro. While the car is idleing you can feel it vibrate. The tach on the RPM is right at 800 RPMs. The vibration is obviously the worst in gear so I feel it whenever I am sitting at a stop light and tends to be worse the colder it is outside. I know that the spark plugs were changed less then a year ago and the motor only has 50,000 miles on it so I don't think a timing belt needs to be changed yet. Any ideas? I looked around on the internet and found some thoughts for it possibley being the throttle body. I took the tubbing off and with a ear swab took some throttle body cleaner and cleaned some of the gunk off. ( don't worry i was very careful not to mess with the flap). Let me know. Thanks in advance
Yar, the symptoms for a bad timing belt are: engine grenading.
That is all.

Haha, seriously though... I'd put my money on it being a coil pack. Learn how to diagnose/change 'em now... and keep a spare in your trunk. You can fix it on the side of the road with no tools, in like 5 minutes. Use a coin to get your engine cover off. :P
I keep coils (2) and a pair of gloves in my trunk... as I recall the coils can be quite hot to the touch if it's blown on a hot day.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

crap so there again i'm back and forth. Maybe I will just take it Audi sometime. Today I crawled up underneath the car and looked at the snub mount....it crumbled when i touched it. Now, I'm thinking of putting the same one back in their because i've heard when people put in snub mounts from places like APR that the vibration increases. DEF. DONT WANT THAT. Anyway I have no idea how to diagnose a bad coil pack. Thanks for the replies keep em coming

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM

A blown coilpack = a blinking check engine light and VERY poor idle. I suppose if they're going bad over time you might get misfires and a poor idle but I'm not certain on that one (going bad over time).

If you're snub is crumbling, don't be a pu**y and get a new one. Yes, they can vibrate a bit more if you don't install them correctly. The trick is to let the car idle a bit before tightening down the bolts so the snub housing area centers itself. I can pretty much say with certainty it's not going to vibrate as much as you're thinking. When I had my old stock one, I could barely tell the car was even idling at lights. Now, I can still barely tell. Replace it with Apikol or Neuspeed, APR had a cracking issue a bit ago and I don't know if it's been solved yet.

Last edited by wolfdog; 02-11-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

i also checked the left and right main motor mounts. They still look really good and the rubber on them feels brand new. My motor has replaced when the body had 50,000 miles on it so i'm guessing that they changed the motor mounts too. The body now has 100,000 miles on it. It seems like i'm gettin the idea that the snub mount is not causing the vibration. Like i stated earlier I still have the original equipment snub mount.

Last edited by horsecrazy8907; 02-13-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

On another thread I did some coil testing. Here is the link: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=125313

I did get one coil that was testing a little weird. But also someone in yet another thread suggested that maybe when audi changed the spark plugs that they put the wrong temperature ones in. Has this happened to anyone before? This would in some ways explain my problem. But anyway anyone got any other ideas?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Change the snub mount. It was crumbling? Sounds like a pretty good place to start. Still vibrating? Did you replace that coil that was pin 4 80ohms to ground? Did you check it again after the car had been running? Like I said in the other thread, change the plugs. It's $8.00 to change them out. Use NGK BK6RE's or equivalent if your not chipped(hotter plug) and the NGK BK7RE's or equivalent if you are chipped (cooler plug reduces detonation). It's cheap and then you would either fix the problem your having or not. At least they'd be eliminated as suspect. It's 10minutes and $8.00 even if they didn't, don't or do need changing it'll benefit you and your peace of mind. Start cheap work your way up from there...

Also, check/replace airfilter K&N dropin's are real nice, clean your maf sensor easy to do (diy search) do a seafoam induction service and fuel system treatment (diy search). There are lots of things that could cause what's happening. Every thing everyone has listed are all really easy diy's that individually each take about 5-10 minutes(not sure on cost or time for snub however, I've never had to do it), few tools and with the exception of the K&N filter and possibly the snub mount each costs under $10. If none of those work then take it to the dealer or post up again for further assistance but do what's been suggested, no one can be certain without actully seeing your car. Its all speculation but you have to start eliminating possibilities to get any real assistance trouble-shooting this. I know it must be frustrating and that's unfortunate. Good luck horsecrazy.

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 02-19-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

thanks krystallblue a4 for the great reply. I just heard from the dealer today but before I tell you that let me tell you all that I tested. I order one coil and swapped each one out seeing if it made any difference. It didn't change anything. Then i got suspicious at my spark plugs and pulled one out. THey only have 10000 miles on them and they look PERFECT and actually brand new.
So I took it to the dealership and they said that the mounts were showing some wear and wanted to replace them. They told me it would cost 700 bucks to change both of them out. I laughed and told them no thanks.
Also when I had the black cover off my 1.8T i noticed right at the top I believe where the injectors go in (right below the metal fuel rail?) that one ofthe injectors has oil all around it on the outside. Granted I know an injector is alot to get fixed but wondered if that could be the problem. I never heard of doing a seafoam induction service? Can you tell me how or where to find info? I goggled it and didn't find much. Also for I cannot find any info or pics on how to clean the MAF sensor for my car. I tried to do that once before. I'm not exactly sure where it is located on my 1.8T. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: possible A4 idleing problem