B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Painted Lowers Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Question Painted Lowers Question

I'm looking to get my lowers painted, but don't know where to get it done (I'm in Toronto, Canada). I was thinking Macco because that's all I really see being advertised in terms of auto-painting.

Anyone know if they're good to goto? Also, what's the average price of painted-lowers?

Cheers,

Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

I have no idea where you should go but it is definitely a good idea! I had mine painted about 6 months ago at my families auto body shop and it makes the car look 10x better! Good luck!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

I've been thinking about doing this myself. I took my car to a friend's auto body shop and he recommended that I save my money and do it myself using duplicolor paint. I'm sure a few people here would recommend the same. There is a DIY on here somewhere I think.

You should be able to paint them all for under $100 if not less.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
1st Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by vashee
I've been thinking about doing this myself. I took my car to a friend's auto body shop and he recommended that I save my money and do it myself using duplicolor paint. I'm sure a few people here would recommend the same. There is a DIY on here somewhere I think.

You should be able to paint them all for under $100 if not less.
I don't know about painting it myself. I'm not a handy-man by any means. I could barley paint one wall of my bedroom; I ended up giving up and my brother finished it all haha. I'm going to Macco tomorrow or Saturday to get an estimate. I can't wait to get this done

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

hahaha, I just had to paint the baseboards of my girlfriend's new place AFTER she had the contractors nail them up. Talk about making a job 10 times more complicated for no reason!

Let us know how much maaco charges you. Its gonna look great once theyre painted.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

Hmmmm let me see if i can find my records to see just about how much my shop would cost. The only problem i would see doing it DIY is the color. How well would you be able to match it? I know the panels are a totally different color already but if its too different shades of black it may look funny.

Update: Yeah I dont know the exact numbers but at an auto body shop i would guess around $70 per hour and idk how long it would take? it cant be too long though..

Last edited by Dylan19; 02-26-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

Don't go to maaco, find a good independent shop. It's generally true that you get what you pay for.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

I may be too late on this post but DO NOT go to maaco. The reason its cheap is cause they use less paint and less clear coat. also they dont primer or sand most of the time. they also dont back up there work. I work for a bodyshop and it should cost around 400 for a reall good job. Extra layers of clear coat would be good cause it has to handle so much dirt and rocks.

Last edited by DillonC; 02-27-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

To do the job perfect and to paint the pieces off the car it's a good chunk of change. I did an estimate and it came to 820 written at 50/hr for paint and body labor and 30/paint hour for paint supplies. You could save some money by not taking off the bumpers, but the rocker mouldings go into the door jambs so those probably have to come off to be painted correctly.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the heads-up! I won't goto Macco after work now

Wow I didn't think it would cost that much! I think i'm going to have to put this off then unless I can find a better deal. My budget is so strapped at the moment. I'm actually looking to get a 2nd job so that way the 2nd job will finance any changes to my car.

Makes me sad that I can't get this done soon, I was going to do a bunch of little mods in junction with the painted-lowers.

Quick Reply: Painted Lowers Question