B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 AM
1st Gear
Default oil leak

Hello Everybody!.. Ive been a lurker for a very long time and I love this forum. Ive used the search button a lot, so bear with me folks.
I have an 03 1.8 A4 5spd that I have a love hate relationship with.. I just turned my car in today to get an oil leak and my timing belt taken care of. I know that the valve cover gasket is bad but its a 2nd oil leak under my car that has me worried. I recently found an oil leak under my car when I was getting an oil change. I was told it might be a bad cam shaft seal which is common...at least thats what I was told. So I started thinking about the oil leak....My car is lowered...and a few times I did not go slow enough over a speed bump...and BAm I would hear my car smack on the top of the speed bump... Now im thinking maybe this had something to do with my oil leak?? Im pretty nervous about it. I just hope they find a bad seal and fix it.

Am i Over reacting??

Thank you for your comments...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil leak

ok heres my 2 cents.

if your car i low enough to be scraping. if your leak was caused by scraping the first thing to be damaged would be your oil pan. which before lowering is like 5 inches off the ground.
and if that was the case you would most likely have an oil pressure warning light screaming at you in the cabin.

secondly. i had a minor oil leak coming from under my car, and my oil pick up tube was loose. so check that maybe

but i think your pretty golden with you camshaft seal hypothesis. it wont kill your car. but it is annoying and you should probably fix it,

hope that helps

Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil leak

Thanks for your input. I saw where the oil leak was comming from...and it was a bit south of the oil pan... Im not a car guy so I don't know the name of the part that was leaking...The part was pretty big, circular in size... I find out tommorow when they call me if they fixed the oil leak or not....My car is actually not that lowered....I just remember on 2 or 3 occasions when i went over a speed bump that if I didnt go slow enough..my car would land on top of the speed bump and BOOM i would hear a big noise...anyhow I got my fingers crossed and i hope everything falls under budget....I hate surprises when it comes to my car...