B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil changes for the TSB qualification

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil changes for the TSB qualification

Hi,

I have a 04 1.8T cab with only 18k on the clock..

Its due for an oil change very soon. I typically do all my own oil changes. I'm aware that there is a problem with the 1.8T engines with sludge at around the 60k-80k range. Even though I very much doubt I'll have the car when the milage gets that high, I'd like to make sure the next owner doesn't ever get screwed.

What sort of proof does Audi need to carry out the TSB on the free of charge repair, even upto a new engine, should you get struck by the sludge problem.

Can I just buy my own Audi Filter, and oil from Audi and then goto a quick lube place? Is that sufficient or does Audi want to do the oil changes themselves via an expensive service otherwise the warranty is out.. This will prove that i bought the correct filter, oil and had it changed every 10k as req'd

In an ideal world, if I could still do the oil changes myself and keep the car in warranty somehow, that would be ideal.. Since I have bought the filter from Audi direct, i wonder if thats enough to keep the car in warranty? I doubt it, but hey you never know.

Thx

Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Oil changes for the TSB qualification

In order for your car to qualify for the sludge TSB you have to show shop work order receipts, you can't use reciepts of just buying oil as justification. You won't have to worry about the next owner, the TSB also states if the current owner isn't the original owner he only has to show proof of oil changes from the date the person purchased the vehicle. One reciept per 10,000 miles is sufficient.